Relace livewell light, bulb or unit

Yamadogg

Seaman Apprentice
My boat is a 2004 PolarKraft Kodiak 165sc. Livewell bulb has burned out. I pulled the unit out to see if I could just simply replace the bulb. I've tried several ways to remove it but I can't get the bulb out of the wired socket unit. So I'm wondering if this is really just a full unit type of replacement and the bulb is not meant to be removed. Can anybody clarify this for me.?
The bulb is a wedge base ; it's' not particularly tight in the socket but it will not come out with reasonable force. Is it supposed to be replaceable or is the whole unit/wire to be replaced [ see photo ]? The bulb filament actually still looks to be intact, but there is no continuity and 12v doesn't light it up. Lettering on the bulb looks like W3w 12v E13 278 . Lens face diameter is 2 3/8 in and back [ thread] diam. is 1 5/8 in. I don't see any mfr. markings on the unit.... Any help would be appreciated.
100_1749.JPG

Last edited:

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Replace it with a LED unit. Sealed to keep out water. They aren't that expensive. Replace the entire unit and seal in place with 5200.