Regulating the outboard generator voltage

mlaajanen

Seaman
Hello.

For thus of us that have old or simple outboards with builtin generator with rectifier but no regulator the voltage at high RPM can be to
high for the battery at least for longer duration but more important it can be to high for modern electronic.

As a way to regulate the voltage I have been thinking about using a solarcell regulator like this one, http://www.amazon.com/RioRand-Battery-Controller-Regulators-lighting/dp/B00G62BPMI

Now since the voltage from the engine is not pure DC I wonder if anyone know how a solarcell regulator would react if feed directly from the engines rectifier with its chopped DC output?

cheers

Michael

mlaajanen

Seaman
You'd be better off replacing the existing unregulated rectifier with a updated regulated rectifier.

http://www.cdielectronics.com/?s=regulator+rectifier&site_section=site-search

Hi, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I can not find one for my outboard, it has three yellow wires coming from the flyweel housing.

I have tried solarcell regulators, they work well BUT the changed battery must be fully separated from the engines ground, so using a solarcell for charging a extra battery would work fine if one makes sure that the engines ground is not connected to that extra battery.

So, I will have have design one myself by means of regulating down the three yellow phases to ~15V before they enter the rectifier where a voltage drop of some 0,7 volt will occur leaving some 14,3 volt for charging.

cheers

Michael

sam am I

Commander
Hi, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I can not find one for my outboard, it has three yellow wires coming from the flyweel housing.

I have tried solarcell regulators, they work well BUT the changed battery must be fully separated from the engines ground, so using a solarcell for charging a extra battery would work fine if one makes sure that the engines ground is not connected to that extra battery.

So, I will have have design one myself by means of regulating down the three yellow phases to ~15V before they enter the rectifier where a voltage drop of some 0,7 volt will occur leaving some 14,3 volt for charging.

cheers

Michael

Why not just use a 3 phase rec/reg designed for your 3 phase (wye configuration tyically) iso'd stator? This would then allow the battery/ies to be ground referenced to the block if that's what you require.... This is how it's and what's typically done anyway.

What make/size of engine? What's current rating is the charge windings?

Last edited:

mlaajanen

Seaman
Why not just use a 3 phase rec/reg designed for your 3 phase (wye configuration tyically) iso'd stator? This would then allow the battery/ies to be ground referenced to the block if that's what you require.... This is how it's and what's typically done anyway.

What make/size of engine? What's current rating is the charge windings?

I can not find any regulator that fits.
Its a 6 A from what I understand.
Johnson 55 1980

sam am I

Commander
Are those three yellow wire coming out of the stator? See page 261 sec 6-22

I'm thinking a standard reg/rec will work here although 6 amps is a bit on the lite side, the standard rec/reg will still work/reg well for you keeping the voltage at 14'ish volts.

Last edited: