How to charge marine battery?

vildric

Cadet
Hi!

I bought my first marine battery and charger today.

Unfortunately, my charger is not an "intelligent" charger...

It charge at 10amp or 2amp with setting at deep-cycle or "normal".

It has a green light to say when the batterie is charged and stop when charged, but thats it.

I know that normally intelligent charger use three stage of charging bulk/absorbtion and float, but my charger dont have this option, so, how I charge it?

I put it at 10amp and remove it when the light come on?

Or I charge at 10amp and then put it at 2amp a couple of hours to charge it more?

Can I leave it on the charger at 2amp between de fishing trips or I must unplug the battery?

Thanks!

Last edited:

fhhuber

Lieutenant
if you are referring to the common 12 v "deep cycle" marine battery such as found at Wal-Mart...
Its a hybrid deep cycle/starter battery. Plates are in between the two specific purpose batteries.

Its still a "flooded lead acid" battery and the typical automotive charger works fine. 10 amp rate is a bit fast for charging them, but can be used occasionally. the slower charge is better.

You should get a maintainer that will "float charge" automaticly turning off the charger when the battery is full and coming back on at appx 12.5v to 13.0v

NYBo

Admiral
If the charger stops charging at full charge (I think that's what you post says; it's a little unclear), you can leave it connected.

Alumarine

Captain
As long as it stops charging when the battery is fully charged you will be fine using the 2 amp setting.
As fhuber say though you would be better off with a maintainer type.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You should get a maintainer that will "float charge" automaticly turning off the charger when the battery is full and coming back on at appx 12.5v to 13.0v
A float charger does not turn off. It sets a float charge of typically 13.5V and keeps it there forever. This voltage will not overcharge a battery.