1991 Sunbird Corsair OMC 3.0/Cobra Won't start condition.

jhwells__hmc

Recruit
I have a 1991 Sunbird Corsair with a OMC 4cylinder 3.0 engine. I have removed and bench tested the Starter motor and starter Solenoid (both good). Took it to a boat shop and they checked it (both good). Replaced the assist solenoid connected between the starter and battery with a new one. Located as many wiring connections as I could find, and cleaned the terminals. New sparkplugs and distributor cap. When I put the key in the ignition and turn, I just hear a click in the assist solenoid. From the miles of information that I've read I believe my problem is not on the "hot" side, but the ground side. I'm new to this despite the user name, retired medical not mechanical. Need some help, please.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Take both your positive and negative cables off and clean their ends and where they mount until they are shiny metal. This includes where the ground cable mounts to the engine block.

jhwells__hmc

Recruit
Done...no dice. Still clicks. Someone suggested to me that it might be the ignition. Possibly not enough current is going through it.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,...... On the starter's solenoid, short the tiny terminal closest the motor, to the battery lug, the starter should engage,.....