Need help with 12/24v trolling motor

ericlskaggs

Recruit
I have a 92 champion bass boat with a factory evinrude 12/24v trolling motor. It has switch in the front of the boat that controls switching it from 12 to 24V. Switch to top runs motor in 12v, middle turns it off and bottom runs in 24v. Recently I had it out and noticed it still would run when I switched to middle an runs only 12 v top or bottom position. Can someone tell me what could be wrong?

NYBo

Admiral
Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

The first thing to check is whether the batteries are hooked up correctly.

ericlskaggs

Recruit
It is hook up correctly. It has been working just fine. When I noticed it wasn't working, I then replaced they rocker switch thinking that was the problem. Still did the same thing.

NYBo

Admiral
Something isn't wired correctly. At the very least, the center "off" position on the switch should cut power to the motor. It sounds like you have somehow bypassed the switched entirely, and wired the motor to only one battery.

ericlskaggs

Recruit
Yes I agree something is wrong, but I have never messed with the wiring. I always used the switch to cut power to the motor. I have never messed with the wiring till I had this issue. All I did was replace switch and 100% sure that all 6 wires were put on new switch correctly. I am not sure what it could be.

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
loose wire some were, does the motor have a plug, and breaker. try there trace all wires make sure they are solid, clean. and connected.... are the batteries still good?