help me find the fuse!

Drewmanselle

Seaman Apprentice
I tried to tilt down my 87 Mercury 60 HP outboard with the keeper still on. It ran for a sec then went dead. No power to either the tilt or the starter. Based on other posts I started looking for a blown fuse. I removed the cowl and found one small fuse not blown. I was looking for a bigger fuse like a 20 amp or something. Where would the main fuse to the tilt and starter be? Help!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Did you actually test the fuse or replace it? A fuse can look OK but still be open. Get out your meter and follow the juice to locate the problem.

dwco5051

Commander
It is highly likely that a loose or corroded connection has opened up from the higher than normal load that was applied to it. Like Silvertip said you are going to have to follow the circuits to find the problem. I would start first by cleaning and tightening all wires attached to the battery. Then find where you have power and where you don?t.

robert graham

Admiral
Yamaha C90 has that 20 amp fuse right near the bottom of the ECU in a black plastic in line fuse holder that twists to open....even. Has a spare 20 amp fuse in the same vicinity.....I know about this from the time I hooked the battery terminals backward😬

Drewmanselle

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you! I did trace wires and tested the fuse. It was good. the only thing I could think of to check was the main multi pronged main connection to the control. I found that part of the cover was pinched so I unplugged it and pulled that out of the way and plugged it back together. the motor now works! not exactly sure if any of this was something I did to fix it but I am satisfied that it works. Thanks for all the tips.

Drewman

dwco5051

Commander
Thank you! I did trace wires and tested the fuse. It was good. the only thing I could think of to check was the main multi pronged main connection to the control. I found that part of the cover was pinched so I unplugged it and pulled that out of the way and plugged it back together. the motor now works! not exactly sure if any of this was something I did to fix it but I am satisfied that it works. Thanks for all the tips.

Drewman
Could have been some corrosion on the pins. Unplugging and plugging them back in may have cleaned them. Sounds like my old Jeep Wrangler. About once a year you had to do that to every connection on the firewall.

Last edited: