tablet with navionics

boatman37

Lieutenant
so i have read a few articles on installing navionics on a tablet. has anyone found a neat way to attach the tablet to your boat? maybe rigged up an otterbox or some other device to attach somehow? just seems like a pain holding it in your hand all day while cruising

mpilot

Seaman
They make car mounts that should work. Ran a windshield mount on my bow rider last year with my galaxy s5 and it worked great. Honestly that was a big enough screen for me. If you are running android I suggest an app called night mode that dims your display further than factory for nighttime use as even the lowest setting is too bright. I got a frog mount that uses tiny suction cups to hold a tablet or phone this year. It also came with a pad you can mount to non glass surfaces via attached double sided tape to mount any suction mount to. I know the windshield mount held up to 50+mph and rough seas so it'll be interesting to see how the new mount holds up this year. They also make screw in articulating mounts for tablets in cars that would work if you don't mind a few new holes in your dash.

boatman37

Lieutenant
i like that mount. i'd be afraid suction cups will fall off and my tablet end up in the river....lol. seems far fetched but if you knew my luck:eek:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
What suction cups? RAM mounts don't suck. :D

45014_2.gif

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I'm interested in getting a waterproof case for my iPad so I can use it when fishing in FL in October. Plus a mount so I can put it in a rented boat or kayak. Need to keep it dry and in the boat.

I have the Navionics app, seems to work well.

boatman37

Lieutenant
lol GA. i was referring to the first post by mpilot saying he used suction cups. i like the more permanent fixture you posted

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Gotcha. The RAM's are nice because they can rotated in almost any direction and locked in place. No tablets will swim with the fishes. :joyous:

mpilot

Seaman
lol GA. i was referring to the first post by mpilot saying he used suction cups. i like the more permanent fixture you posted

Yeah on the pontoon I'm a little more hesitant and an older phone will probably be the guinea pig. On the bow rider the worst thing that would have happened is the phone or mount falling into the floor. The ram style mounts were the ones I was referring to that mount via screw. As for cases they make the lifeproof style or even the basic ones that are basically heavy duty freezer bags with floatation on top. Either should work in that ram mount case. A lot of guys with coastal boats seem to be using the sea sucker mounts to an I pad on center consoles with no hesitations.

LSU

Cadet
I'm interested in the Navionics app for an iPad mini. I fish inshore.

Anyone gave any comments before I click buy?