GPS to Laptop

FrizFreleng

Seaman
Cannot afford a new chart-plotter for my new project boat. What about a portable (auto?) GPS to input to my Dell laptop to interface with as yet unidentified Nav software in real time? Or is there a Sat antenna with USB which will input position directly to a laptop Nav software in real time? I have an elderly Tom Tom which I use in my vehicles and on the boat for speed but it is no way capable of interfacing with Nav software or at least I have not found a way.

Alumarine

Captain
If you have a smartphone or tablet with GPS then you could use an app like Navionics to navigate.
They work well and are inexpensive.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Just do a search for GPS USB receiver. You will get hundreds of choices.

Personally, using a laptop for navigation would be a royal pain because its too big, I would use a tablet instead as marc suggested.

Last edited:

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
There are gps antennas thst plug into your usb port and nobetec makes nav software that can utilize the antenna for position.
not sure if its more than what you looking for, but you can also get charts to download too.

Buoybill

Cadet
Delorme has the GPS sensor you need. They have Typo software also. I use it with my toughbook laptops. You have endless yearly downloadable maps of typo Ariel and satellite maps with land and water contours. I use Lowrance units on the boat and Delorme for exploring and you can preplan at home.

FrizFreleng

Seaman
Well this looks like it will be easier than I thought. My smartphone is small and I don't have a tablet but my son has a tablet he no longer uses. That would be the best answer. If it doesn't have a built in GPS, you are right, there are GPS/USB antennas all over the internet at reasonable prices. And right about a laptop being to big. Didn't consider that. Looking to plot position/course/speed in real time on displayed charts. Nobletec/Time Zero would do that. Plan is to cruise the Keys and Bahamas. Thanks Shipmates!

jaymoussy

Seaman Apprentice
Hmm...
Some devices (tablets, phones) draw quite a bit of internal battery power with GPS enabled, enough that, even on charge, it leads to depletion, eventually.

Other: What else will you have as back-up system on-board?

southkogs

Staff member
I've used Navionics for navigating the ICW some, and it can chew up the battery. Since I was only out for several hours at a time, I took a portable USB charger with me (I have a fairly "stout" one) and that did the trick, and really would have lasted me all day.

My boat would have a power port if I needed to plug in like a car charger, but I've opted not to do that in most cases.

FrizFreleng

Seaman
Tablet would be plugged in while underway, two house batteries being charged by the engine's 100 amp alternator. Tablet and antenna would not be solely on the tablets battery power. On my pontoon I regularly take my laptop loaded with nav charts. Also have a Tom Tom GPS for speed. The Yamaha's alternator has never had a problem keeping the house battery charged with those two items plugged in. Have never had the laptop or GPS batteries go dead. Although I have never checked the laptop battery charge level at the end of the day. Just assumed it was at full charge because it was plugged in. Maybe not?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My tablet has a 4000 mAh battery. You could charge and discharge the tablet over 10 times and not even have your motor running to charge the main battery it was charging off of. Not an issue at all.

If you have a low quality cigarette lighter plug, it may not keep up with a tablet using GPS. Get a battery monitor app and you can tell if you are discharging faster than it's charging.

Last edited:

LSU

Cadet
If you have a smartphone or tablet with GPS then you could use an app like Navionics to navigate.
They work well and are inexpensive.

I'm interested in a mini iPad and using Navionics app. Can you tell me your experiences?