1996 johnson 112 wont turn over.. please help

afkrinkledub

Cadet
I changed shift and throttle cables yesterday then went to start motor and nothing... If anyone has a good starting point and pic of wiring diagram, it would be a great help... Thanks in advance

afkrinkledub

Cadet
So after some troubleshooting im still not getting anything... Could someone please point me in the right direction. Thanks

sasada

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have no idea what your mechanical abilities are so please excuse me if make a comment where you are like "duh, no kidding!".

Upon first thought is we can tell the starter is not getting an juice. Would it turn over before changing the cables? Yes? Then make sure the motor is really in neutral under the cowl. Sorry for being all over the place but give us some more details.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Probably managed to adjust something such that the neutral switch isn't seeing neutral. When that happens, the starter won't turn.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Battery connected during this work ?-----Have you checked the fuse on the motor near the solenoid ?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
If you changed the shift and throttle cables you had to get inside the control box at the helm. There is a good chance you disturbed the wiring in that box. When troubleshooting electrical, start at the battery (cables clean and tight) and then follow the juice from the positive terminal of the battery to the engine, then to the ignition switch ("B" terminal),l out of the "S" (solenoid/starter) terminal with key in START, back to the starter solenoid and starter. When you lose track of 12 volts you found the problem. Do any of the accessories work (radio, lights, etc)?. If they do, the problem is in the engine harness, not the boat harness.

afkrinkledub

Cadet
I found 2 broken wires while digging around but i fixed them and still nothing. I have 12v at the starter solenoid but nothing after that and i have found and checked the "main" fuse to be good.

sasada

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok I'm lost...the starter solenoid on the side of the starter has one job, to act the split second it receives power. So, you had two people to test this? One with a volt/multi meter on the positive connection on the starter/solenoid while the other twisted the key to the "start" position??? If you indeed have 12v at the starter when you turn the key to the start position and get absolutely zero reaction or noise out of the starter then I am baffled, amigo.

Last edited:

afkrinkledub

Cadet
Yes i have 12v at the starter solenoid(from battery) and i had someone turn the key while i checked for power on the yellow/red wire from ignition switch and nothing. Is my ignition switch bad?

sasada

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm rethinking this now....I remember back in the day, to start a car we could turn the key to the "on" position then get under the car and ground out the starter by pulling back the red insulating cover off the solenoid then ground out that post by touching that and a ground source at the same time and get it to start. That would mean that the red wire on the car always had juice and turning the ignition to start was completing the circuit. Now...im taking a shot in the dark, and please don't let me put you on a wild goose chase, but if what we did held true for you, you are not "completing" the circuit somewhere. Possibly in the ignition, likely not unless you somehow damaged it?? Btw...I had a fuse that appeared good but was indeed not good.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Use a piece of wire and jump from the positive battery cable on the starter solenoid to the small terminal (the one from the ignition switch) on the solenoid. If the starter now engages the problem is either the fuse on the motor, or the +12 volt wire going to the "B" terminal on the ignition switch, the wire running from the "S" terminal on the switch, or the switch itself. If you have power to the switch but not out of it, the switch is bad. If you do the circuit between the switch and solenoid is bad. Follow the juice sir. And did you check the engine fuse.

afkrinkledub

Cadet
Silvertip, i did what u suggested and the starter turned over. Now im shooting the wires to see if i can find where the issue is... Ill report back later. Thanks

afkrinkledub

Cadet
Got it!! It ended up being a broken wire from the "s" terminal on ignition switch to starter solenoid. I ran a new wire and she fired right up!! Thank you everyone for your help! Silvertip, i owe you one!