Need someone to bless my wiring diagram Please.

butchstivers

Cadet
Hi, all. I have a 24ft CC boat with a 36 volt trolling motor. I opened the the battery compartment today to find a complete mess of spaghetti wiring and have to fix this so I can find out what is going on in there. I am attaching a diagram that I think will work but not 100% certain and would like someone that understands boat wiring to bless it before I dig into it. The boat has a Perko Battey switch, 4 batteries and a 36 volt trolling motor. View attachment boat wiring diagram.pdf

alldodge

Staff member
Don't connect your 36V set of batteries to your battery switch. Connecting the house bat to the Common (C) terminal does not allow it to be disconnected. Connect the house battery to terminal 2. Use an onboard charger to recharge your 36V batteries. They way it was previously connected it will charge only 12V to the one battery.

bat 36.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Having the one battery of the 36V bank will not burn up everything. The switch would only see 12V.

However, I would actually use a completely different switch and leave the 36V bank seperate form your engine and house battery

Use this one for your cranking battery and your house.
https://www.bluesea.com/products/551...Battery_Switch

Your diagram shows no loads on the house. What is going to be on it?

Last edited:

butchstivers

Cadet
for the house load I will have radio (music and two way), GPS, bait tank pumps (fill and aerate) , lights, bilge)

butchstivers

Cadet
There are only 4 batteries. 3 in series for the 36volts and a cranking battery the "house" is not a battery it is a fuse block.

alldodge

Staff member
Being this is an outboard and your house connections and not a battery then I will agree to the common terminal. I still would not agree to connect one 12V battery to terminal 2, reason being it can damage your alternator. It could do the same to a changer trying to charge a 36V system using 12V on one of them.

Now if it was connected at terminal 2 and was used only in an emergency to try and get the motor started, then switch off 2 and back to 1 after motor started then I could agree. Just my opinion

bat 36 part 2.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Since that house block is not a battery, I have no problem with your diagram. In my opinion, no damage to your alternator will ever happen since it will never see more than 12V.

Last edited:

butchstivers

Cadet
Thanks Bruce for your blessing. As for the charger I have a 4 bank charger and each bank is set to one 12 v battery.

Fed

Commander
Putting it into position 2 should be exciting, did you look at the original PDF link Bruce?

36V in series with a trolling motor wired across the outboard when the trolling motor is on?

I dunno, my head is fuzzy this morning.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Putting it into position 2 should be exciting, did you look at the original PDF link Bruce?

36V in series with a trolling motor wired across the outboard when the trolling motor is on?

I dunno, my head is fuzzy this morning.
Maybe you should look again. The battery switch sees only 12V. You could put a hundred more batteries in series and you will still only see 12V at the switch.

Imagine putting a meter between #2 of the switch and ground. Looks like you are measuring across one battery aren't you? :)

Last edited:

Fed

Commander
Sorry Bruce I told you my head was fuzzy this morning, I'm really not quite with it. (I think)

There's something about the PDF link that doesn't feel right and I can't get my head around it at the moment, I'll take another look later in the day when I'm feeling better.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
4 bank charger connected to 4 batteries just as its designed.

Each bank of a charger has no electrical connection between the other banks of the charger which is why they can be connected to each individual battery even though the batteries may be wired in series.

This from a MinnKota manual:
4bank_charger.jpg

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
There's something about the PDF link that doesn't feel right and I can't get my head around it at the moment, I'll take another look later in the day when I'm feeling better.
The thing that was weird to me was the house loads were designated as that grey box. I thought it was a battery at first.

Everything else is fine including wiring up a 4 bank charger to it.

fishrdan

Admiral
That diagram will work fine, I have my 24V trolling batteries wired very similar.

Just be sure you don't touch the 24V or 36V wire to anything on the engine or other 12V wiring.....