Electronics expert needed

fishnfool101380

Seaman Apprentice
Looking for an electronics expert who knows what radar, auto pilot, thru hull transducer etc etc will work with what.. Also what are any of you guys running and are you happy with it?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Why don't you tell us what you are trying to accomplish?

Lacking that, Garmin works with Garmin accessories and Simrad works with Simrad addons. Same goes for Lowrance and Humminbird.

fishnfool101380

Seaman Apprentice
Everything the boat is equipped with is older stuff. I am hoping to save a few bucks by keeping my current thru hull ducer, radome, and auto pilot. However I am fairly certain that most of my stuff will not be compatible with newer electronics but I have no clue.

I will post a list of what am currently running when I get home tonight.

NEMA 2000 (?) is a universal plug and play wiring harness. Stick to one brand and everything should take care of itself.

Today I installed a display, wifi hub, blutooth hub, gps, radar, transducer, into a 24' Rabalo with 2000 merc 250 efi. Everything was Sinrad w/nema2000 harness. Didn't need to program a thing.

fishnfool101380

Seaman Apprentice
Sorry took so long, here is a list of what I currently have.

Furuno color video sounder FCV-667
Garmin gps 182
JRC 2000 Radar
Simrad AP12 auto pilot

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Sorry took so long, here is a list of what I currently have.

Furuno color video sounder FCV-667
Garmin gps 182
JRC 2000 Radar
Simrad AP12 auto pilot

Outside of your autopilot everything else is ready for the retirement. The FCV-667 is a 300W sounder and most are at least 600 watts anymore. If your sounder uses a 10pin connector and supports a 600W sounder, you can reuse the transducer but transducer technology has come a long way in the last 10 years. Probably better to replace it as well.

My setup:
Furuno FCV-587 Sounder with Airmar B160 1kW transducer
Garmin 4208 with GMR 18HD Radar Dome and GFS-10 fuel flow sensor

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Whats your thoughts on side scan?

Depends on what your trying to do and your typical water conditions.

Side scan doesn't have heave compensation so they are a tough sale in open water applications. How many days is it flat clam in your area?

A good tool for looking around bridge piles in protected waters on calm days. Would prove to be a valuable tool for a wreck diver as well.

I do neither very often, if at all, so I chose to spend the extra money on a quality transducer.

fishnfool101380

Seaman Apprentice
I basically fish offshore exclusively.. I would rarely (a few times a year for island fishing etc) be using the side scan for structure purposes. A large portion of our offshore fishing here in Southern California is done on "kelp paddys''. Often the larger predator fish will be away from the paddy by a couple hundred feet or more and are often "boat shy". When approaching a kelp offshore or drifting by, it would be nice to know if that particular paddy is holding fish. Would a side scan be able to do this?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
On a calm day I don't see why it wouldn't work but bear in mind the effective angle of the scan. A friend of mine installed side scan to keep track of his planer board lines. He is unable to see that are running 10-20 ft.

The other thing is that your looking at a small, monochrome rendering. Unlike conventional sounder where you can pick fish out of the weeds by its color, your looking at "shadows" on side scan.

With no experience at such a thing, my first thought is you couldn't see the forest thru the trees. Maybe check a local fishing blog to see what they say

fishnfool101380

Seaman Apprentice
Actually pinpointing the exact location of the fish is not important. Being aware of there presence period, would be. Given the fact that this would be offshore I should not pick up any structure therefore anything I mark on the side scan whether it be a shadow or not should indicate fish. Correct?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
I had a Humminbird Helix5 DI installed last year, and guess I would say it's been OK, but maybe a little disappointing -- probably as good as anything else I might have bought. I'm not sophisticated enough with it to make full use of it, but that's the case with everything from cellphones to microwaves, so I'm OK with that. Unfortunately, neither down scanning or side scanning has amounted to anything very interesting so far. The image is good but not as spectacular as I kind of hoped for, and side scan takes some interpretation. (Maybe the lake just turns out to be kind of boring down there.) Down scanning seems to limit out before I hit my usual depth of about 150' or so. But you still have the old fashioned stuff for depth and fish finder functions -- and the GPS tracker is really neat (along with temp and speed). It shows current and past courses, and allows you to duplicate a route without setting waypoints or any of that stuff (another option I haven't used yet). My home lake isn't all that big, if pretty deep -- GPS nice to have, if caught out after dark or in bad weather.

Make sure you have the right computer for downloading software. With H.Bird, it's done on your laptop or other device, and transferred to the unit with a micro card -- so need to know what card is needed, and importantly what system is needed for the download. With H.Bird it's strictly Windows (I run Apple equipment) -- used an old Windows desktop to get the software downloaded. Oh, and find out what's included in terms of lake maps, if any, or what's available.

The sonar is transom mounted on my inboard -- had some concern over that placement, but has worked out OK. I did find that the unit would shut down unpredictably (starting engine, for example, while the unit was running). After some searching on various forums, I found that the solution is to wire directly to the battery (mine goes to the house battery). As a digital unit/display, you apparently don't get interference or noise -- display just shuts down, But the direct wiring has worked OK (wired with an inline fuse).

For all of that, it's fun to have. One of the settings is a virtual 70s style flasher, which I thought was kind of neat. Actually, the thing would probably cook lunch out there, if I knew how to do it. Maybe a virtual lunch.