Houseboat wiring dilemma

mdwells

Cadet
Hello all,
First time post, fantastic forum. Have unraveled many a rats nest on my Three Bouys houseboat based on great information found here. Many thanks to all.

I now have a new dilemma with my '88 Three Bouys 42', AQ 151C Volvo houseboat. Have surfed and searched the web for hours and cannot put my finger on a solution.
Thought there may be an ole houseboat captain out there who may have been down this creek and could save me some headaches.

Can't seem to get the purple ignition wire to the coil to energize. Here's what I do know.

New ignition switch first of all, hot battery, good grounds. If I hot wire the coil, engine fires and runs well. Without the hot wire, it cranks but won't start, no fire to the coil.

Two purple wires at play here. Darker purple wire runs from the coil all the way to the helm, loops under the dash, no connection to the switch, heads back thru the floor and disappears in the wiring harness. This wire does not energize at any time.

Lighter color purple wire runs from the ignition terminal on the switch down thru the floor and out of site in the harness. This wire does energize with the switch on.

Question is, could there be a switch or connection up on the flybridge console that would prevent the continuity of the ignition wire?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
purple is ignition. do you have a safety switch at the helm?

mdwells

Cadet
No safety at lower station, but upper station has a total of 4 switches....2 momentary pushbuttons, one momentary toggle and one on/off toggle. These are in addition to the station transfer button at the shift/throttle lever. All appear to be original/ factory. I believe this is where my problem is. No labels, so I'm not positive what the functions are. My guess is the on/off toggle will turn on the ignition circuit. Momentary toggle and pushbuttons could be start or kill switches, but with only one engine dont know why 3 of the momentary switches.

PO has pulled several wires loose and the sun has faded the blue and purple wires to pink, but if I knew the intended function of the switches, I could reconstruct the harness.
Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

Unable to find a diagram for your motor but found one which should help with the color scheme, "maybe"
73_OMC_V8_all_big.jpg

mdwells

Cadet
Great diagram! Thanks, that will clear a lot of questions. You wouldn't happen to know the function of the flybridge pushbuttons and toggles would you? There's 4 in all....2 momentary contact pushbuttons, 1 momentary contact toggle and 1 on/off toggle.

There is also a station transfer pushbutton by the shift/throttle lever. It appears to function as it should, but PO and salt corrosion disconnected wiring to the other 4.
Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
I'm not a VP guy, but I do poke around. The diagram I posted was for an OMC (VP took them over years ago) V8, and I know the 150 is smaller, just thinking color codes. To help with the switches it would help to know the year of the boat, this helps by giving me an idea of what might have been the design.

Just guessing, you would need a momentary switch for the horn, 2-start buttons and maybe navigation lights or blower

mdwells

Cadet
It's an '88 Three Buoys. This is for the flybridge station which seem to be secondary to the main helm. No keyed switch, just switches and buttons. I've read posts indicating a kill switch or button, start button, ignition on/off and maybe 12v to the guages....?

alldodge

Staff member
Being an 88 it might not have start switches. Would help if you could provide the wire colors on the switches. Still thinking one momentary switch would be the horn, as for the other two would help with wires attached. Below pics are for Mercruiser but wiring should be close

Slide1.JPG
Slide2.JPG

mdwells

Cadet
Managed to get some pics of my upper helm instrument panel. You can see the 2 momentary pushbuttons either side if the tach and the two toggles just to the right. One toggle is definitely an on/off, but the other is a tired ole switch and was either a momentary or a on/off that has failed as it will not stay in either toggle position. Still guessing that one pushbutton is for start, one is a kill switch, on/off toggle for guage lights and last toggle could be ignition if it was an on/off, otherwise if it was momentary, could have been alarm test??? Just throwing ideas out there. Thanks to all you have replied, maybe the pics will help.
Thanks.....Mike

mdwells

Cadet
No Title

Sorry, pics didn't upload last post.... Here they are:

Attachments

• photo238032.jpg
    photo238032.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo238033.jpg
    photo238033.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 0
  • photo238034.jpg
    photo238034.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
You really need to get and trace the wiring, were just guessing. My guess is start, horn, nav lights, helm lights, ignition ON