Looking for new depth/fish finder

merkle41

Recruit
Im looking to buy a new depth/fish finder. Don't know much about them but want something that s not going to take a science degree to use. I would like the whole set up from display to transducer. please let me know what you think. Would like to stay below $400. GPS and color are not mandatory but sound like they might be helpful. I'll mainly be staying in Jamaica bay NY.

xmxaxrxtxyx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Humminbird Helix 5 units might be ok?
Although I think I screwed mine up cause the sonar has never worked for me:(
My local boat dealer recently told me RayMarine has gotten the best compliments for him, so....

gm280

Supreme Mariner
First things first merkle41, :welcome: to iboats. Nice to have you join us...

For starters, what are your plans for the depth finder/fish finder? You didn't specify. Are you merely looking to see the depth as you run the waters, or are you wanting maps that show you where you are and such? Because simple lower cost Depth/fish finder unit could be what you need. Even a very simple unit will provide both depth numbers and structure and fish. So it really depends on how much info you are willing to pay for, and how many niceties and options you want or need.

I would suggest you visit a local sporting good store and see what is available and even pick their brains on the different units and educate yourself. That is probably a lot better then mere suggestions from folks on these forums without see the actual units.JMHO!

snowman246

Petty Officer 2nd Class
lowrance-hook-7-chirp-dsi-fishfinder-chartplotter-no-transducer.jpg
I have decided to purchase the Lowrance Hook 7 for my rig. It starts at 499.99. I chose the 7 inch screen so I can mount it over the driver windshield for driving to and from fishing but turn it to face the bow of my boat for when I am fishing by myself and still see the screen.
They offer a 5" screen version for about $400.00 also.

This includes depth finding, gps, and downscan imaging. I chose this one based on price and functionality for me. I will recommend staying away from anything that does not have gps included. For the extra $100 or so, you can mark waypoints of your "secret spots" so you can click on the location and go right back to it without guessing.

The biggest selling point of the gps feature for me is going to new lakes. Whenever you launch your boat, set a waypoint at the dock and if you are anything like me and travel the whole lake finding the best spot and end up on the other side of the lake and the sun is setting or its already dark just click on the waypoint of the boat dock you launched at and boom you are guided back to it. It's really easy getting turned around on new lakes and I prefer to get back to the dock quickly and easily when its time to leave.

Also the downscan imaging​ is so much better than sonar. This version has multiple screen views with the click of one button. You anchor to fish and you can make the whole screen downscan image. Traveling to the other side of the lake, you can choose gps view only.

I'm not employeed by Lowrance but this is the best feature combo I have found that fits my needs and falls in at under $500. I have always had good luck with Lowrance products.

I have tried Humminbird before and have had horrible luck with bad readings and problems. I now refer to my Humminbird on my two man boat as it is stuck in "demo mode" when I'm fishing. Constant beeps showing fish under my boat even when I'm in less than 4 ft of water trolling lol. I now use it as a depth finder only.

Last edited:

redarndt

Seaman Apprentice
The helix 5 gps/sonar would be my first choice.

This fits all of your requirements. It's $300 retail. You can likely find for cheaper though. Simple unit.

I always find myself wanting more and more when it comes to fishing electronics however. If you end up being the same way. You can always upgrade and add this unit to the bow and run it off the trolling motor

Last edited: