What GPS for the old man?

gixxerjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My father in law is a retired truck driver who loves navigating and driving trips etc. He's been boating for about 10 years and is up to a nice 21 foot Sea Ray. I finally have him convinced to get a marine GPS. He is 70+ and doesn't need a lot of complexity. No fishfinder or sonar needed. Just a good inland lakes map and large screen that is good in sunlight. Simple to use and not too expensive. Under $350 or so.
Suggestions?

wrench 3

Commander
I think the only way you'll stay within your budget will be to get a generic GPS unit and add a chart plotter program. I'm using a Curtis GPS unit that was basically designed for automotive use. I loaded Memory-Map software into it and government charts. It works great and I put the hole thing together for under $200.00. That was with a used GPS but with buying Canadian charts. I understand that the US ones are free.

gixxerjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anybody using Garmins GPSMAP640? Seems like a good match for Puppa. Very much like his road GPS...?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
There are many options for under $350 that will work fine, and yes, get a combo unit with sonar. Garmin models tend to be easy to use, Lowrance is a bit harder. Bigger screens are easier to read and understand.

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
I got a Lowrance Elite 4 Chirp for Christmas. I haven't installed or used it yet, too cold :(. It measures the speed of the boat, how deep and temperature of the water. A lot of other things too. It has a chart plotter so you can find where you've been and how to get back to the ramp, if you get lost ( which is something i do quiet often :) )