Kiekhaefer Mercury Tachometer

ferencg

Cadet
Hello, I have an antique tachometer that I would love to put to good use, I rescued it from garbage essentially. It has a "Kiekhaefer Mercury" 52552-A2 written on it, and Mar 75 stamped (which makes it slightly older than me). It has three wires coming out, black seems to be ground, brown comes from the orange "52552-A2" modul, and white comes from the tach instrument. I have a Force 90 HP outboard. Would anybody be familiar with how to connect these two together, a wiring diagram or something along those lines?
Thanks, Ferenc

ferencg

Cadet
I need to revoke my question. After further research, I see this will not work with the specific motor I have.
Thanks,
--Ferenc

gm280

Supreme Mariner
First of all ferencg, :welcome: to iboats. Nice that you joined us...

A lot of older tachs used a different setup to display engine RPMs and they were usually connected to the ignition coil for their input. And in reality tachs are actually frequency to voltage converters. So when the pulses are coming off the engine, the tack changes those pulses to a proportional voltage to drive the meter to a corresponding voltage/RPM reading.

But older tachs operated differently then the usual type tacks in use these days. So you could build a circuit to allow you to use that older tach. but honestly, it would be a lot of trial and error until you got the correct readings being displayed. So the better way is to buy a newer tach and use that. Cheaper, less time involved and easier. JMHO!