Electrical plug

Itsanss

Seaman Apprentice
Just had my one week anniversary of owning my first boat! There's an electrical plug on the top front of the boat. Was just curious what ya'll think it might've been used for. It's a 1958 Texas Maid Falcon. 14'.

Thanks!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The pins are pretty hefty to handle current. My vote is for a trolling motor.

Is it connected to anything?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Not standard. Lights, trolling motor, windlass, speakers? Trace the wiring is my suggestion

Itsanss

Seaman Apprentice
The pins are pretty hefty to handle current. My vote is for a trolling motor.

Is it connected to anything?

My first thought was trolling motor, but I wasn't sure how one would attach to the front with how the boat is shaped. Also, the aluminum over the top isn't quite strong enough to support a person's weight. If it were for a trolling motor it would have to have an interesting way of mounting it and also a remote way to control it without having to stand on the aluminum sheet. But it is possible!!

The wires were going to the ignition switch as nearly as I can tell. That, however, has recently all been ripped out. lol

I don't figure we will ever have any use for it. Trying to brainstorm some ideas of what to put there to cover/use the hole. My first thought was a 12V accessory/cigarette lighter, but being at the very front like it is, I don't know how much good it would do...

Thanks

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have to go with the trolling motor crowd as well. However, That has to be the dumbest place to mount such a plug in the first place. It allows rain water to get into the receptacle and you see what it looks like now. I certainly would remove it and patch over the hole and actually throw it in the trash can and buy new if you want to install a trolling motor. But don't install any receptacle in any horizontal location without a proper cover. Just asking for problems. JMHO!

tlombard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It looks like it had a cover at one point with the remnants being that metal whatever you want to call it but yeah, no idea what that plug could be for.

NYBo

Admiral
Another vote for trolling motor hookup. The Swiss cheese look in the area indicates there were probably a few different things mounted there, likely with plywood or something underneath for strength.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
It looks like it had a cover at one point with the remnants being that metal whatever you want to call it but yeah, no idea what that plug could be for.

Yea, I do see what looks like hinge attachments at one time. But usually the only horizontal receptacle type setups are for front and rear navigation lights that plug in when needed. But they are usually two prong not four. And I think they are designed to drain water if it get into the receptacle as well. I have no idea what the PO did or why. JMHO

tlombard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yea, I do see what looks like hinge attachments at one time. But usually the only horizontal receptacle type setups are for front and rear navigation lights that plug in when needed. But they are usually two prong not four. And I think they are designed to drain water if it get into the receptacle as well. I have no idea what the PO did or why. JMHO

It's been nearly 60 years since the boat was manufactured. I'm sure all kinds of crazy or ill advised things have been done to boats since then! Most of the things we take for granted as common knowledge now were learned somehow and most likely the hard way!

NYBo

Admiral
BTW, those 4 forward-most holes are most likely from a combination bow navigation light, and that would be the place to put a replacement.

But I'll bet you already knew that. :redface:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Other than 3 phase motors the only time I've seen a 4 pole receptacle like that is for a motor on a relay to switch direction of the motor.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Take it out. Make a nice wood plate with a hole for a small flag,, think pirate type or fishing banner. mount the nav light in it or in front of it.

NYBo

Admiral
Other than 3 phase motors the only time I've seen a 4 pole receptacle like that is for a motor on a relay to switch direction of the motor.

A 12/24 volt trolling motor would use one is all switching occurred in the motor controls, wouldn't it?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
My opinion. I would just remove it and never use it again. If you want a navigational bow light setup, buy a new receptacle and install. JMHO!