Gas gauge sending unit/ '95 Bayliner LS1700

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer
Not sure how to describe this:
My gas gauge does not work but told by the original owner that it's the sending unit that sits on top of the gas tank. 20 gal tank is under the floor back by the bilge area. Sorry no picture and boat covered and stored for winter.
Can anyone help me with this somewhat inconclusive thread?
Thx Dave

alldodge

Staff member
I would start to verify that it is the sending unit. Get to the back of the gauge and check for 12V when the key is turn ON. If 12V is present ground the pink wire off the S terminal, the gauge should peg full. If this all works then you will need to get to the tank.

Gas Gauge.jpg

tpenfield

Staff member
To add to what AD posted and what the previous owner described . . . the sender is fastened into a hole on top of the tank . . . it does not actually sit on top of the tank. There should be should be a 2" +/- round sender flange with 5 screws holding it to the top surface of the tank. There will be several wires connected to it as shown in AD's picture. Make note of the orientation of the sender, as the 5 screws are not symmetrical.

If the gauge at the helm checks out, then you will want to remove and test the sender, and replace as needed. Be careful working around the fuel tank (fumes, sparks, etc) and seal off the opening when you have the sender out.

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you on checking for 12V from the helm, that's the first thing I'll do. And yes the description of the sending unit is spot on... Flanged surface with 5 screws and wires. I did not know it wasn't symmetrical. That's Huge! My guess is the original owner didn't want to get into this. I do, I need to know how much fuel I have.

Thanks again for all the help!
Dave

alldodge

Staff member
Your first post gave me the impression you couldn't see the sender. With that and to do fast check, turn the key ON, then use a jumper wire and go from the center terminal on the sender (the pink wire) to ground. If the fuel gauge goes to full it's the sender, if not go to the gauge and check as previously posted.

The tank should have a black ground wire to one of the 5 screws or a separate terminal on the tank. Just jump from the center terminal to the tank

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks!! Sender is a piece of cake, it's right in front of me after opening a vinyl snap on cover. Easy as pie to get at.
I'm printing this thread
Thx again, Dave

Excellent.. just printed the diagram too!

Last edited: