Dual batteries

vettedino

Recruit
Hello everyone, This is my first post, so I hope you don't find my inquiry stupid. Just purchased a used 97- 23foot wa sunbird -neptune with a dual battery hook up.The previous owner says it has a on board charging system but only 1 phase works( don't know what he means by that, except he told me only charges 1 battery at a time). Since I don't know how that works, I have an external battery maintainer, wired up. My question is: if I put the battery switch to both batteries, will the maintainer keep both batteries charged or just the one with the clamps on it. thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

if you have it on both, and you have the maintainer on the terminals of one, the switch connects the rest together. that is how I maintain mine.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the only stupid question is the one you dont ask and you get into trouble. ask away, we are here to help.

vettedino

Recruit
Thanks. Do you or anyone know about the onboard battery maintaner on a sunbird neptune. I was told one phase didn't work. Can only charge one battery at a time.

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks. Do you or anyone know about the onboard battery maintaner on a sunbird neptune. I was told one phase didn't work. Can only charge one battery at a time.

Depends on the model. If it is a 2-bank charger (has 2 outputs and one ground) and one side doesn't work, then it's just that. Now if it is only a single bank charger then there is only one output. What is the manufacture and model of the charger? Could always post a pic?

joebehr

Recruit
I run two 12v group 27 batteries on my pontoon boat for the trolling motor...I'm considering switching to four 6v batteries to gain more trolling time...any suggestions?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I run two 12v group 27 batteries on my pontoon boat for the trolling motor...I'm considering switching to four 6v batteries to gain more trolling time...any suggestions?

I'm confused. How does going from two 12 volt batteries to four 6 volt batteries give you more trolling time? :noidea:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
More ampere hour capacity, as example
12V
Group 27 = 100 amp hour @ 20 hour rate
Group 8D = 255 amp hour

6V
Group 4CT = 220 amp hour x 2 = 440

http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/marinedeepcycle.php

Okay, here is my question. If four 6 volt batteries will take four battery boxes and offer more then two 12 volt batteries, why not go with four 12 volt batteries and have a heck of a lot more amp/hours? If you are going to install four battery boxes, then install four 12 volt batteries and there you go. The actual physical sizes are not that far off. :noidea:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
2 6V batteries wired in series that are 220 amp hour will give you 12V also at 220amp hour. I do agree going to 4 6V vs 2 12V will give you more trolling time.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Okay, here is my question. If four 6 volt batteries will take four battery boxes and offer more then two 12 volt batteries, why not go with four 12 volt batteries and have a heck of a lot more amp/hours?
If all the batteries are identical amp hours, each method(12 vs 6)would yield the same amp hour as a group.

joebehr

Recruit
Not trying to make anyone feel jacked. I need to replace my two group 27 12v DC batteries and want to know if four 6v DC batteries would give more running time on average

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Not trying to make anyone feel jacked. I need to replace my two group 27 12v DC batteries and want to know if four 6v DC batteries would give more running time on average
It would but you should start your own thread next time.

fishrdan

Admiral

Yes, but there is more to consider, start new thread.