85 Suzuki dt40

Needing some help diagnosing a problem with my boat motor it is a Suzuki dt40 oil injected it will not get spark what so ever. I'm thinking it my be the CDi /ignition which is built together I'm no expert but am looking for others opinions on how I may be able to do more test to figure out if it could be something else. I have checked the pulser coil which read good also have checked charging coil and the emergency kill switch and then disconnected it from the Cdi and still haven't had any luck. Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... I'll move this to the Suzuki outboard forum for ya,.....

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
No mention on how you checked anything so hard to say.

If you are reading peak voltages and comparing to service manual,
then that should point to which component is not doing it job

I forgot what they was reading I had a friend of mine come down and he had checked the pulser coil and the charging cool and both read good on the meter. But I'm still unable to figure out what the problem could be. It ran great once you could get it started. But 70% of the time it would just flood out and but then later on start up. And no it won't hit or get any spark what so ever.

I'm not a outboard expert at all. Just not familiar with Suzuki motors.

Last edited:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
are you using a spark tester of some kind to see if any plug is getting spark or are you just guessing

From what you are writing it sound fuel related if it floods out

Well I tried new plugs and also used a plug tester and couldn't get spark at all on it. When I had it on the lake it would start every now and then if you were lucky. Them most of the time it wouldn't get spark and not hot at all. And it would case the plugs to get wet with fuel.

Sorry on the last sentence of that last reply I meant to say it would not spark at all and cause the plugs get wet with fuel.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
If you can get your friend back over there to check the voltages into and out of the CDI that should tell you something.

I have not worked on many Suzuki's, but Yamaha's ground the voltage out of CDI to keep spark from getting to the coils and plugs .
If you do have proper voltage into but not out of CDI then either it is shorting to ground by kill switch, wiring or some other problem with CDI

Need to make sure you are using proper test equipment to read voltage so you can compare to the service manual specs

I wish I could get him back over but he had just came down visiting from a 10 hour drive. So there's no way I can get him back down here. Is there any way you could see if there was a link on how to check the voltage from the stator. And how to check voltage goin in and out the Cdi. That would help a lot because I can't seem to figure anything out. And I don't have the money to blow replacing parts. And that Cdi/ignition is 450+.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Check your ignition switch that can be causing no spark. I don't think you need to go crazy on the testing because if you have the cdi I think it is. The coils and cdi are one module that is not serviceable so if one or the other go bad have to replace the whole unit. So the only testing you need to do is make sure the stator is good. Now I could be wrong it's been a long time since I have seen one so my memory is sketchy on these. The fact it starts sometimes and not others leads me to a switch.

Last edited:
Well it would start and run great. Every now and then. But next morning it wouldn't hit at all. Then brought it back home and done all sorts of testing on switches and the emergency kill switch also. And no luck. I'm just not sure of how to test the stator on it because I'm no mechanic on Suzuki motors. All I have really worked on was evinrude and that was to replace the coils on it because it was an older motor.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Ok you need to get a manual they have them on ebay. Here is the problem with your motor nothing is cheap for it and suzuki carries few to no parts any more for that motor. There is no aftermarket parts support for the motor past water pumps. They are good motors that the factory has made obselete. So you have a choice put money and time int a motor that over time will become harder and harder to find parts for. Also you will have a hard time finding some body to work on it. The other choice is replace the motor ,by me a 1987 evinrude 40 hp is going for $400 with controls. That motor has great factory and aftermarket parts suppliers and is extremely common so used parts will not be an issue. Your choice

Yes I found out when you can find the parts for the Suzuki you could just about buy another motor for the price of one part. It seems that I'm goin to have to go that route anyhow. Thanks.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Simple thing to do is have the spark tester with you when it will not start to see if any of the plugs are getting spark