hummingbird transducers

bigbiedan

Recruit
I have a hummingbird model 787c2 fish finder I am getting ready to mount on a new boat, took transducer off old boat and it looks like something is or was leaking from transducer, looks like black tar but is not sticky, I have two other boats that is set up for this fish finder and check their transducers and all three of them looks the same way...any help? I have not used either of the other boats in about 2 years, can anyone tell me how I can check to see if they are bad?

Last edited:

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You sure that Black tar is not the stuff they used to stick the transducer to the boat? Pictures would be most helpful to help you.

BTW welcome to iBoats

roffey

Commander
I would think if it's bad you will have to replace it. With that in mind, install the transducer and try it. If it does not work replace it and if it does then the black stuff is ok, LOL.

I have a Humminbird and apart from the black stuff they use to seal the transducer unit (not black tar looking but black shinny hard epoxy looking) there is no black tar.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Bad part is....unless you have a really high dollar unit, the transducer will cost almost as much as a new unit. I have two older models that the transducer was damaged by others but they are so darned expensive to replace I just keep collecting depth finders without transducers. I am also told by the mfg that the transducer normally needs replaced after 3 years!!! Sounds like a gotcha to me.

roffey

Commander
I here ya, I have a brand new unit I wont put it on the boat because I have to drill holes in my boat. I think I am going to install it with out the transducer and just use the GPS.

bassman284

Commander
I here ya, I have a brand new unit I wont put it on the boat because I have to drill holes in my boat. I think I am going to install it with out the transducer and just use the GPS.

http://www.iboats.com/12-Lx4-W-Hori...0730120--session_id.233770658--view_id.167626

Us this and you won't need to drill holes. Yeah, I know it comes with 2 screws but you don't need to use them. I have one on my boat that is glued on with 3M 5280. Been there 14 years and no sign of coming loose. So you drill your holes in the plastic.

airshot

Rear Admiral
http://www.iboats.com/12-Lx4-W-Hori...0730120--**********.233770658--view_id.167626

Us this and you won't need to drill holes. Yeah, I know it comes with 2 screws but you don't need to use them. I have one on my boat that is glued on with 3M 5280. Been there 14 years and no sign of coming loose. So you drill your holes in the plastic.

Great idea, wish I had seen that years back. What I did was to mount a piece of aluminum on the hull with two screws, well sealed of course and now I just drill into that alum plate. Even if I change out transducers I still am only drilling that alum plate and not thru the hull. If I ever get so many holes that the plate needs to be replaced I only have the two original thru holes to deal with and reseal. Better than your transom looking like swiss cheese.