Fish finder

I have a Garmin fish finder120 and my transducer slipped sideways on my trolling motor and i seen fish that were not there when the transducer was pointing down...Was it seeing fish off to the side? Can i use the fish id that way ?

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Even if you can, what is the point? You are not in the same place as the fish are

gm280

Supreme Mariner
That is a very subjective comment. I mean it would be one thing if you tried both ways with absolute known fish sitting totally stationary, but I can't see anyway you could make that statement otherwise. I can understand the transducer having a non-symmetrical cone pattern, but other then that, I don't see any other issue.

It is one thing to think you see fish on the display, an entirely other issue to actually make them bite. And also understand that any fish finder/depth locator, tries to display a 3D environment on a 2D screen. So even when you see fish on the screen, you have virtually zero knowledge exactly where that fish could be. It could be forward, or rearward or any place in between in the cone pattern. JMHO!