Windlass wiring

motorboaterT

Recruit
I'm new to this forum so I hope can do this right. I have a 28' Skipjack and I'm installing a windlass on it. It's an older model Ideal model CWM or H1F w/o rev, I'm using a 14 lb danforth, 50' of 3/8 chain and 5/8 rode. I'm putting it on a 150A breaker. So here' my question: the mfg recommends #00 cable for 30'+ length (power to windlass) that seems alittle heavy to me. can I get by with #0 or #2? Thanks for the feedback. T.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... There's considerable loss to small wire over long distances,...

I'd use what the manufacturer recommends, or larger myself,......

'n weldin' cable suffers less power loss than battery cable,.... finer strands of copper,....
Findin' it tinned for corrosion protection is the problem,...

Last edited:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I'm new to this forum so I hope can do this right. I have a 28' Skipjack and I'm installing a windlass on it. It's an older model Ideal model CWM or H1F w/o rev, I'm using a 14 lb danforth, 50' of 3/8 chain and 5/8 rode. I'm putting it on a 150A breaker. So here' my question: the mfg recommends #00 cable for 30'+ length (power to windlass) that seems alittle heavy to me. can I get by with #0 or #2? Thanks for the feedback. T.

Welcome to iboats! I was curious about your boat, so I googled Skipjacks. I assume yours is the 28 Flybridge? That boat weighs less than 7000 lbs. 'dry', so I wonder why you're using such heavy-duty ground tackle. 50' of chain and 5/8" line will fill up your anchor locker quickly and take away the free-fall height available for the windlass. Just cautioning you to remember that you have to maintain enough free-fall height that the rode will pull itself down into the locker.

Good luck with your project! I did the same last year.

Last edited: