What Trolling Motor?

funin the sun

Seaman
Here is a picture of my boat. Its a 18 in a half foot boat. How many pound thrust trolling motor would be the best for this size boat

Attachments

• photo234030.jpg
    photo234030.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well funin, that really depends on what you want the trolling motor for, or to do. If you are looking to fish and move along down a bank for structure fishing, it doesn't take a very big or powerful trolling motor. But if you are looking to trolling on a river or in a wide open area on a lake with lots of wind, then you will need a larger trolling motor. So I would think about what you plan to use it for. If for some slow bass fishing along a bank or shoreline, a mere 40 lb would do nicely. But if you have plans to fight currents or winds, then go larger and whatever you can setup and afford. I know that sounds ambiguous and not what you were looking for, but the answer is how it will be used and where. I can say I had a bass boat that I fished with for years with a mere 23 lb thrust trolling motor without any issues. :noidea:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
You would be doing yourself a big disservice by installing a 40# troller. Your boat has an equivalent of a "sail" so even the slightest breeze would put the 40# motor to work. The boat also presents a big side profile (another wind issue) and it's weight would mean in any current or wind, a 40# motor would need to be run at or near full power. In my view you need a 55# minimum which is the largest 12 volt motor you can buy. If you are a serious fisherperson and are on the water most of the day, then I would suggest a 70# motor but that puts you in 24 volt territory and means there are now two trolling motor batteries rather than one. If you are looking at a troller for emergency power, then and electric troller is a wrong choice entirely. A small outboard on a lift bracket is a far better choice and you could also use it as a trolling motor without the battery related issues. An old adage is that a big motor loafing is better than small motor running its guts out.

funin the sun

Seaman
Im looking for a trolling motor and some kind of good idea to have a back up motor so if my big 120hp motor fails i have a back up to get me back to the loading ramp. I have a 18 in a half foot maxum bow rider boat with a 120hp force. Just looking for a good idea or the right side trolling motor for a back up. Not using it for fishing. Only for a back up so im not stuck out on the water. I already experianced a break down out on the water and was stuck when my switchbox went out and the motor wouldnt crank back up and had to flag down another boat to tow me back to the loading ramp. So before i go back out on the water again i would like to find a good size trolling motor to mount on the front bow of the boat only for a back up motor. I go out in lakes quite often in the freash water but i also go out in the bay once in a while in the salt water and sometimes the water can get alittle rough. So would a 55lb thrust be a good back up motor. Ill post a pic of my boat to give a idea

gm280

Supreme Mariner
funin, if that is what you are wanting a trolling motor for, I would get a small OB engine to use. A lot easier to setup and run then a battery system trolling motor with wires and keeping the battery charged just in case. And a little OB can even be run off the same tank. JMHO!

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Your boat is made for an outboard. If you get an 8 or 10 hp you'll not have to listen and feel the vibration of the single cylinder 5 or 6 hp models. Plumbing it in to run off the same fuel as the big motor is usually pretty easy.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
There is an ample supply of two cylinder low hp engines to choose from. Electric strollers are not good backup power since batteries do not provide an inexhaustable source of energy. If you boat primarily on small bodies of water then an electric troller may be fine. Definitely not for big water.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
There is an ample supply of two cylinder low hp engines to choose from. Electric strollers are not good backup power since batteries do not provide an inexhaustable source of energy. If you boat primarily on small bodies of water then an electric troller may be fine. Definitely not for big water.

I agree. I should have been clearer. Most 2 cylinder outboards will run smoother than the singles. There are tons of 5 and 6 HP 2 cylinder models have been made. I would aim for one that I can run off the same fuel supply as my big motor.