1988 Celebrity tach problem

Bktransam

Recruit
I have a 1988 Celebrity with the 5.0LX motor and I am having an issue with the tach not working. There appears to ne a black box under the steering wheel that the wires go into but no output from it. Any ideas??

alldodge

Staff member
I have a 1988 Celebrity with the 5.0LX motor and I am having an issue with the tach not working. There appears to ne a black box under the steering wheel that the wires go into but no output from it. Any ideas??

Howdy

The tach doesn't have any wires which feed anything. Connections are:
Sense (gray wire) which comes from the negative side of the coil
Power (purple wire) 12V from the ignition key circuit and can also be used for lighting
Ground (black wire) Negative
If you have a switch which turns gauge lighting on there could be one additional wire

Get a hand held tach and connect to the gray wire on the tach with engine running. If no reading, check continuity between negative side of coil and the gauge

Bktransam

Recruit
This is what the connector goes into. The wires come out and go to the tach. Any idea what this box is?

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
The box just looks like the back of a tach, is this a separate box?
fetch

Bktransam

Recruit
Yes, it is separate from the tach. There are 3 wires that come out of this box (through the connector) and go to the back of the tach

alldodge

Staff member
Kind of weird, unless its just a pass thru. As previously mentioned, the three wire corresponds with what was previously posted. What kind/model tach is it?

Bktransam

Recruit
It's the stock tach. I couldn't find anything anywhere to tell me what this box does. The grey wire goes into it and I have nothing coming out of the wires going to the back of the tach 1 yellow wire, 1 white wire and 1 orange wire. None of the wires are connected directly to positive or negative

alldodge

Staff member
Most tach's are self contained, so all the electronics to control the needle are inside the tach. Looks like you have one which the electronics are in the box and the 3 wires going to the tach power and control the needle. Haven't seen one like this but the 3 wires should be the same.