Mercruiser harness

juliolop

Seaman
according to part list the PN of my engine harness is 862173T1 and similar 84-862163T03
any schematic for connections?
thanks

alldodge

Staff member
according to part list the PN of my engine harness is 862173T1 and similar 84-862163T03
any schematic for connections?
thanks

To make it easier for us to know which harness schematic you want is to let us know what engine and year

juliolop

Seaman
Just to be sure, the nock out sensor suppouse to use another additional module right?
Mine only has an ICM module in the board exhaust elbow
I'm I wrong?

alldodge

Staff member
The knock sensor does use another module, that said your serial number comes up with one being installed, not saying I'm not reading something wrong, just what I'm looking at.

Will also have the knock sensor screwed into the side of the block

juliolop

Seaman
this is so confused, you said my SN comes wit a knock sensor installed.
this will suppose having an extra module with consequent entries in the harness,
I'm the third owner of this boat, and they assure me the engine never was changed,
I went to marinepartsplus.com and check the part list for my engine according to my SN
and they say the knock sensor comes installed in engine 5.0 bravo and 5.7 Alpha/Bravo,
where did you see mine came with this sensor and module originally?
in that hole what I have is a plug kit for drain.
thanks

Fun Times

Staff member
this is so confused, you said my SN comes wit a knock sensor installed.
this will suppose having an extra module with consequent entries in the harness,
I'm the third owner of this boat, and they assure me the engine never was changed,
I went to marinepartsplus.com and check the part list for my engine according to my SN
and they say the knock sensor comes installed in engine 5.0 bravo and 5.7 Alpha/Bravo,
where did you see mine came with this sensor and module originally?
in that hole what I have is a plug kit for drain.
thanks.
Thanks AD, juliolop has this correct as long as he's sure he has the Delco alternator that I'm pretty sure he does without seeing/reading the alternator. The 5.0l with an Alpha drive does not utilize the knock sensor system while had it been a bravo drive, than yes a knock system is used. juliolop, your first part number in post number one was off by one number, the 7 should have been a 6. 862173T1 and similar 84-862163T03.
How do I know what engine this is with what drive it should have from new is due to this serial number (0M322975) shows the engine to be MERCRUISER 5.0L ALPHA 5.0L ALPHA
PARTS CATALOGS
  • 816596 98 - 5.0L/5.7L ALPHA/BRAVO GEN+
46 806611T 1 MODULE, Knock Control (5.0L Bravo And 5.7 Alpha/Bravo)
47 806612T 1 SENSOR, Knock (5.0L Bravo And 5.7 Alpha/Bravo)
84-862163T03HARNESS ASSY862163T1$263.67$237.70$0.00$0.002.81 Lbs
Part Number Description Superceded
From
List
Price
Price
Core
Chg
Cont
Chg
Ship
Weight
Each
Order
Quan
This Mercury Marine part number 862163T03 HARNESS ASSY is used on the below models​
4.3L (GEN +) (2 BBL.) GM 262 V-6 1998
4.3LH (GEN +) (4 BBL.) GM 262 V-6 1998
5.0L (2 BBL.) GM 305 V-8 1998-2001
5.7L (2 BBL.) GM 350 V-8 1998-2001

juliolop

Seaman
Thanks FT & AD
it was my mistake writing the PN for the harness.
I'm rebuilding my engine and there are some wires in the same sub-harness with the electric fuel pump connector that I don't know yet where they go,

juliolop

Seaman
I though TB 5 was the one with knock out sensor.
in addition, the sensor in the timing plastic cover, what is it?
I don't see anything in the harness to connect to.

alldodge

Staff member
As FT mentioned the TB5 can have the sensor if a Bravo is used. I'm figuring they don't use them with Alpha's because of the shift interrupter, it can cause a knock and set off the sensor.

Item 47 in link below is the knock sensor and 46 is the module. With the TB5 there is a wire which connects the module to the ICM. http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...desc=Wiring+Harness+And+Electrical+Components

Complete parts list if needed,
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selectDocs.asp?doc_nbr=816596+98

Last edited by a moderator:

Fun Times

Staff member
I though TB 5 was the one with knock out sensor.
in addition, the sensor in the timing plastic cover, what is it?
I don't see anything in the harness to connect to.
As mentioned by AD, there's a separate knock module on these carbureted engine models.
Timing plastic cover??? I'm not 100% sure what you're referring to. Have a photo you could post? Is it mounted to the distributor assembly under the cap? or?

As FT mentioned the TB5 can have the sensor if a Bravo is used. I'm figuring they don't use them with Alpha's because of the shift interrupter, it can cause a knock and set off the sensor.
It's more to due with the base price of the engine when sold new... Less fancy features = less $$$.$$ but in reality = more $$$.$$ in sales volume.:fish2:

juliolop

Seaman
As mentioned by AD, there's a separate knock module on these carbureted engine models.
Timing plastic cover??? I'm not 100% sure what you're referring to. Have a photo you could post? Is it mounted to the distributor assembly under the cap? or?

It's more to due with the base price of the engine when sold new... Less fancy features = less $$$.$$ but in reality = more $$$.$$ in sales volume.:fish2:

yes in my case, the timing chains in the front are covered for a plastic cover with a sensor, the problem is I cannot see any connector in the harness to connect this sensor