Garmin 44dv sonar fishfinedr problem - how to solve?

photographer

Seaman Apprentice
I have a Garmin 44dv fish finder/sonar combo.
I have installed it today. Everything went. The unit powers up without any problem however it shuts down immediately when I plug in the transducer cable. It works fine without the transducer cable.
I have tried to plugin the transducer cable before powering up but it shuts down after a second. It doesn't even finish powering up.

I plug in the cable correctly paying attention to the little pin on the cable connector.

The Garmin 44dv comes with a Garmin GT20-TM ? Transom Mount Transducer.

Any thoughts?

photographer

Seaman Apprentice
I have two days left to return it. What do you think did I make a mistake or I have a faulty transducer? Thanks so much!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Call Garmin customer support to see what they have to say or just return it.

photographer

Seaman Apprentice
Yes, I thing that's what I am going to do! They are closed so I have to call them tomorrow. Thanks!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
They may some on-line troubleshooting. Scratch that idea. The site doesn't work well for support. Call in the morning to get an RMA number or return it to where you bought it if it's local..

The instructions may have troubleshooting as well.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Put a voltmeter on your 12v input with transducer connected and disconnected. If the voltages are similar its a problem with the transducer.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like you have some supply voltage issues. Maybe corroded terminal connections. The head unit seems to come on, but as soon as you plug in the transducer, it starts pinging and draws more current then you are supplying and it turns off. At least that is my uneducated suggestion not being there and testing things. I would certainly monitor the supply voltage like dingbat suggested and see what is going on. JMHO!

photographer

Seaman Apprentice
called Garmin. I have an RMA number. The only problem is that it will take 1-2 weeks until I have receive the new transducer.... :( I have to send the faulty one first....

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Do what gm280 says. Unless you have proper supply voltage you will simply repeat the process.