Lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) battery

sam am I

Commander
Trying to skip/avoid the opinion/hearsay mongers here as much as possible............

Thinking I might make the jump this next year (other than my Dewalt's and B&D's) so specifically, anyone ACTUALLY running/ran one in their Boat/RV?

If so......

House?

Crank?

Like it?

What manu?

Is/has your battery running/ran ya think at or around this manu's or similar performance curves and such?

http://www.lithiumion-batteries.com/...-batteries.php

FWIW

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithiu...sphate_battery

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Since GM and others are buying the LiFePO4's from Tesla Motors for their EV cars, I would start there.

I have looked at Battery Tender Brand in the past, however I do not have personal experience.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Hmmm...replace my 2 $220 Oddysey batteries with a battery that cost $1000/each?

moi

Petty Officer 3rd Class
:cool: Why bother.........not yet cost effective.

sam am I

Commander
Hmmm...replace my 2 $220 Oddysey batteries with a battery that cost $1000/each?

Bluse, Are you asking me (or the board?) if you should or shouldn't make this choice for you? Or ohhhhhhhh, it's just rhetorical in nature and "sort of" off subject.

Perhaps a mod can suggest to you creating a new post for YOUR question as it seems this is a warranted question for you if you're needing recommendation based on your economics and such.

I'm looking for someone who has or is running one but thx, I appreciate you trying to answer in the best way you can.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Perhaps a mod can suggest to you creating a new post for YOUR question as it seems this is a warranted question for you if you're needing recommendation based on your economics and such.

Ayuh,.... Looks on topic to me, it is after all an open forum,...

You wanted a discussion about makin' the switch,.....

I'm happy with plain ole lead acid myself,....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
BTW, the manufacture you linked claims 5,000 cycles yet everyone that uses that same chemistry battery claims 500-1000 cycles, including Tesla, before the battery loses half its capacity.

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer
As of now there is no drop in Lithium replacement for lead acid. If you change to lithium you will also have to upgrade the charging system. The big advantage to Lithium is how long they last, how quickly they charge and their longer charge, discharge cycle, and they weigh nothing next to a lead acid.. The drawbacks? cost. The need to upgrade the charging system, danger of lithium batteries getting too hot and bursting into flames.

So the message is, if you want to upgrade to Lithium have a pro do it and do it right.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Bluse, Are you asking me (or the board?) if you should or shouldn't make this choice for you? Or ohhhhhhhh, it's just rhetorical in nature and "sort of" off subject.

I'm looking for someone who has or is running one but thx, I appreciate you trying to answer in the best way you can.

Seriously, If you're looking for someone who's installed $1000. batteries and the associated equipment, you're kinda in the wrong venue, aren't you? I'd be asking that question in a big-bucks cruiser forum somewhere. A pair of those batteries costs as much as a lot of folks here spent buying their boats!

My .02

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Big dollar yachts are using enersys or hawkers as they are still being charged with an engine mounted alternator or battery maintaner running off the genny mains. Most are agm vrla for the house bank or backup for the hydraulic power units.

Randy Walden

Cadet
Trying to skip/avoid the opinion/hearsay mongers here as much as possible............

Thinking I might make the jump this next year (other than my Dewalt's and B&D's) so specifically, anyone ACTUALLY running/ran one in their Boat/RV?

If so......

House?

Crank?

Like it?

What manu?

Is/has your battery running/ran ya think at or around this manu's or similar performance curves and such?

http://www.lithiumion-batteries.com/...-batteries.php

FWIW

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithiu...sphate_battery
Trying to set up a system with LiFePo4 batteries. Doing my homework for now