Standard marine radio goes off

Sergio Uribe

Cadet
Having electrical problem with my marine radio on my boat. I turn on the radio, but when the transmit button is pressed, the radio goes off.
I had the radio checked by the local distributor of Standard, and he says that the radio is o.k. and that the problem is with my power source.
I installed the radio back on the boat, and installed an electrical meter on the power wires to the radio. Again, when the transmit button is pressed, the radio goes off, and I observed that the voltage on the feed lines drops at the same time to below 1 volt.
What could be the problem? Could it be that the antena has gone bad and is causing the sharp drop in the incoming voltage? How can I check the antena alone? It is an 8 ft antena.
If the antena is not the problem, is there somewhere a poor contact in the power lines that should feed the 12 volts to the radio? How could I go about in checking the electricity wires, and find (among so many wires, and connections behind all the gauges, and switches), the faulty connection?
I would appreciate any help, in order to be able to solve the problem

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I think you have more of a power issue then an antenna issue. When you press the transmit button, you require more current from the power source and it seems the power source can't deliver that extra current. So the voltage drops. I would first check the lines running from the power source to verify all connections are clean shiny metal. And that is both the positive AND negative wires too. I believe you will find the real problem doing that. JMHO!

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
^^^ think that's right. While you're at it, good time to clean up the other connections in your system too. I like to spray with electrical cleaner while I'm at it, but can't swear that makes a whole lot of difference where corrosion is a factor -- as in every boat wire connection. wiring gremlins....

Sergio Uribe

Cadet
Thanks to both of you for your advise. I will then concentrate on inspecting and cleaning all electrical connections.
Thanks, and God bless you