1998 yamaha 200 hp 2 stroke - High Voltage alarm - fluctuates between 15-17 volts

mobilereef

Cadet
I had a high voltage alarm sound on my VHF, and noticed it was fluctuation between 15-17 volts. Can anyone help me figure this out? I am thinking since I cleaned and tightened the battery terminals, it must be the voltage rectifier, but any pro input would be appreciated. Thanks and have a great day.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The rectifier changes it from AC to DC, the voltage regulator does exactly what it's name indicates, so that's where the problem is. I don't know on this motor if they are combined as one unit, or separate.

mobilereef

Cadet
I changed out the voltage regulator and it fixed the issue. It seems now the motor is having a hard time staying at idle without stopping. I tried to raise the idle, but it made it worse. Any suggestions?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Voltage regulators are notorious for taking out upstream electronics when they go bad. Make sure you have spark at all plugs at idle. It could be a bad battery pulling the system down as well..

mobilereef

Cadet
I run tested the batteries prior to changing out the voltage regulator, and the guys at o'reily said they were good. Now my questions is how do I test if I have a spark at idle on all plugs? I tried to launch this morning and it just did not sound right. I loaded back up and came home. Last thing I need it to be 40 miles out with a dead motor. Please forgive my ignorance on these issues. I am learning as I go with your help. I really do not know what is "upstream" from the regulator!

thanks in advance for your time.

Chris

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
"Upstream" of the regulator is the entire ignition system. A lot of times a failed regulator will take out the power pack.

You need a spark tester to check for spark. you can pick up up at most automotive parts suppliers

mobilereef

Cadet
Ok well that is where I will start! it really sounds to me like what you mentioned is the case. All of the sudden the starter sounds strange, it will not idle correctly. I will buy one this week and read the directions on how to use it. Thanks a ton for your advice. if you are ever fishing in the orange county, CA area, I have a few boats i can get you out on free of charge to get some Marlin or Tuna, whatever is biting. Can I hit you up once I test this thing? Is a "power pack" something that I can do fairly simply with proper instruction manual? Thanks again for taking the time dingbat (or whatever your name is!)

Chris