Trolling motor conversion

jdecoudres

Recruit
I have a min Kota edge foot control. Is there a way to convert it a transom mount. Will it fix into a c clamp mount?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: jdecoudres to iboats...

If you can find a transom mount that will accept the shaft diameter of your trolling motor, then it isn't that hard to do. If you can't, then you may have to manufacture something to work. Maybe look in Craigslist or EBay for some old trolling motor for little money, to use that mount. If you have the capability, you can make one also. JMHO!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
And you will need to spin the head 180 degrees which may be an issue on a foot controlled motor.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Along with spinning the head I image you could rewire it to correct the steering somewhat like they have done here

As for if it will fit in the clamp I'm going to say no or at least not w/o heavy modification. A pontoon bracket

might be easier to make work but IMHO I think just making a mount for the bracket you have now to retain the stow function. Maybe even in conjunction with a quick release if you don't want the TM on the boat at all times.

Not that I've put much thought into this mind you.:rolleyes:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Why do you want a transom mount? Something you really really need to consider before you go to all that trouble: Pulling a boat with small hp is one thing. Attempting to push a boat with said item is a totally new experience. Considering all the variable conditions you usually encounter when boating, my hat goes into the ring that you will be dissatisfied with the change!

fishrdan

Admiral
I'm all for cobbling up stuff and McGyvering things, but I wouldn't try to convert a foot control bow mount into a tiller controlled transom mount, too many thing are different. Your major problem will be the shaft diameter being too big for a transom mount bracket. Or were you trying to make up something like a MotorGuide Bulldog

I'd sell the bow mount onto craigslist and buy a transom mount with the proceeds. You may even come out a couple dollars ahead.

Last edited:

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Perhaps he like me doesn't want an ugly TM messing up the lines and look of his cool closed bow boat, not to mention the jerryrigging of some way to deploy it, or to have to sit on the SW running a TM when he would rather sit in the chair making minor course corrections with his foot while he drift fishes.

If that's not your case JD then ya what they said should be taken into serious consideration.