Starter/solenoid?

bwillaub

Seaman Apprentice
Went to start the motor and the starter cranks and cranks even after I turn the switch to OFF position. Had to disconnect the NEG battery cable to stop it. Figured I had a bad ignition switch so I replaced it with a new one I had on hand. Touched NEG battery cable to battery post and it started cranking again without the ignition switch being turned on. Bad solenoid? Any help will be appreciated.

CadoTx

Cadet
That's what it sounds like. Try tapping on the solenoid to see if it will unstick. I would replace it even if you can get it to work properly again so you don't have problems with it while out on the water. Once a solenoid starts sticking it is only a mater of time before it sticks again or goes out.

bwillaub

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks. That's what I was thinking. Called the guy who usually does the work on my boat and he said it was caused by low voltage of the battery? He says it happens a lot. The low voltage causes the solenoid to stick.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
bwillaub, If you own a meter you can take it and check the solenoid out and you will know for certain if it is stuck/shorted across the large terminals. But like Cado Tx stated, it sounds exactly like a stuck starter solenoid. JMHO!

Fed

Commander
What motor?
Is it new to you?
Have you done any prior work on it or did the problem start by itself one day?

bwillaub

Seaman Apprentice
Fed, it's a '98 Mercury Force 90 hp. I rebuilt the powerhead but I have had it out several times before the problem started. I took it to the shop yesterday. I'll let them mess with it. I recently bought a '72 Dodge Dart, a 440 cu in motor, and a 727 Torqueflite transmission. Most of my spare time will be devoted to the car project for the next few months.