Thoughts on Gauges for 16 foot fishing boat?

Acheron2010

Cadet
Removed the gauge panel on my 1987 Wahoo 16.2, which had non-functioning speedo, tach, and trim gauges, along with nav light switch and 12VDC receptacle.

With the opportunity to actually redesign the dashboard, what gauges are important to a vessel this size, and what would you select?

IMHO, a voltmeter would be of more value than a trim gauge - I can look at the top of the outboard to see the trim. Is there a need for a second voltmeter for a second battery, should I use one for a trolling motor?

Your experience and wisdom appreciated.

NYBo

Admiral
I agree about the voltmeter vs trim gauge. You can wire in a SPDT switch to select which battery to monitor. A tach is also invaluable. If you install a GPS chartplotter, it will have a speedometer so you may be able to do without a separate one in the instrument panel. Of course, that will give you speed over ground vs speed through the water with a pitot-powered speedometer.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Built-in fuel tank or portable? If built-in you will want a fuel gauge. If you have room, an engine water pressure gauge is beneficial as it gives you an idea what condition the water pump is in. Yes -- you have a tell-tale stream to look at but it is not a good measure of actual water pressure.