wiring in batter switches.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
OK, I have three brand new Blue Seas Battery switches....they are for one battery each...I am going to run two 12 volt batteries and all systems on the boat will run on 12 volts. I don't know if it matters, but I have an onboard battery charger as well. I am THINKING I can the three switches and get the same results I would get if I went out and bought a new two battery switch. I am thinking one + line from one battery to the first on -off switch... and one + from the second battery to the second on-off switch. Then I would run the output from each to the input of the third switch, and the output of the third switch I would wire my motor and fuse panel to. I am not sure about one thing....if this set up would produce 12 or 24 volts if Both the first two switches were turned on at the same time....

my charger is a 2 bank 10/10 Guest Charger.

yes I am trying to avoid buying the correct battery switch...about $50......but Ill just buy it if my plan is flawed

thanks

bob

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Third switch not really necessary except as a termination point, but It will work and you will get 12 volts.

Last edited:

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
thanks for the reply...how would I...or does it matter...... wire the negative terminals???

bob

gm280

Supreme Mariner
With three SPST switches, you just wire all the grounds from the batteries together. And then each battery has its own SPST switch and you can turn on one, or two or none. Just remember you will not get 24 volts wiring them this way. You will get increased current capability when you have both batteries turned on at the same time however. If you are looking for a 24 volt setup, you have to completely change the wiring layout. JMHO!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Yes, you only need 2 of the switches to accomplish what you want to do. Personally, I would just buy a 1/2/Both switch and sell the other 3 switches on eBay.