1962 Evinrude 18hp Serial #15036-01494

BrianOGrady

Seaman Apprentice
I recently bought an 1980 Carolina Skiff J12 and in the deal got a non running/or has not ran in several years 1962 Evinrude 18hp Fastwin motor. This is a winter project and I am starting to get into the motor. A few questions to get started.
Last night I drained the lower unit and had a just a slight bit of water, very little.
What is the best lubricant to fill the lower unit back up with?
There was no fuel line with the motor.
Is there a universal part number for the connector? I did get a new fuel tank with the deal, but need hose and a bulb.
Also what should be my next plan of attack after I get the fuel hooked up and the lower unit filled?

thanks for any help, I have been doing searching for the last week and understand I should get a new impeller.
Does any have Napa reference numbers for these parts?

Brian Project Boat.jpg Motor Controls.jpg Draining Lower Unit Oil.jpg Lower Unit Oil.jpg Motor Serial Number.jpg

Attachments

• Project Boat.jpg
    Project Boat.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Project Boat.jpg
    Project Boat.jpg
  • Project Boat.jpg
    Project Boat.jpg
  • Motor Serial Number.jpg
    Motor Serial Number.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Motor Controls.jpg
    Motor Controls.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

BrianOGrady

Seaman Apprentice
Admin,
Can you move this message to Evinrude Outboard motors? Not sure why I posted in this section.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If there is water in the lower unit you need to install a seal kit.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
If you have a NAPA near you, and no dealer you can use the following part numbers. Or you can even order here on iboats.

The fuel connectors from Sierra come in 3/8 or 5/16 sizes. Part number for 3/8 is 18-8092. 5/16 is 18-8056

The bulbs come in same sizes. 3/8 is 18-8005EP-1, the 5/16 bulb is part number 18-8004EP-1

Of course, then you can buy the fuel line to match the bulb you get and the connectors you get. Or, make it easy and buy the OMC fuel line and connectors and line all wrapped up together ready to use. Part number 18-8009EP-1. The OE number for this is 398549 from the dealer.

The impeller for your motor is 18-3002

Step 1 before anything though is test compression. Should be between 100 and 150 psi, and even between cylinders.

Then test spark. Get an adjustable tester, set it to 1/4". Spark should jump that with a bright blue ZAP!! If not, pop off the flywheel and see why. Could be original coils, if so chuck em and replace. Polish points and set to 020. We can talk about that later though when the time comes.

These are pound for pound great motors, and if taken care of, will outlast your grandchildren.

BrianOGrady

Seaman Apprentice
If you have a NAPA near you, and no dealer you can use the following part numbers. Or you can even order here on iboats.

The fuel connectors from Sierra come in 3/8 or 5/16 sizes. Part number for 3/8 is 18-8092. 5/16 is 18-8056

The bulbs come in same sizes. 3/8 is 18-8005EP-1, the 5/16 bulb is part number 18-8004EP-1

Of course, then you can buy the fuel line to match the bulb you get and the connectors you get. Or, make it easy and buy the OMC fuel line and connectors and line all wrapped up together ready to use. Part number 18-8009EP-1. The OE number for this is 398549 from the dealer.

The impeller for your motor is 18-3002

Step 1 before anything though is test compression. Should be between 100 and 150 psi, and even between cylinders.

Then test spark. Get an adjustable tester, set it to 1/4". Spark should jump that with a bright blue ZAP!! If not, pop off the flywheel and see why. Could be original coils, if so chuck em and replace. Polish points and set to 020. We can talk about that later though when the time comes.

These are pound for pound great motors, and if taken care of, will outlast your grandchildren.

High Trim, dumb question on the fuel connector's. Should I just measure or are they interchangeable? Also I am doing a compression test this weekend and will test the spark. It was sparking but it has some old Autolight plugs in it.

thanks for your help.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Either size will fit your motor. The 3/8 is mainly for higher hp motors though, as it provides a bit more flow. The part that connects to the motor though is identical, they only differ in the barb that accepts the fuel line, that part is a different size.

BrianOGrady

Seaman Apprentice
Compression was checked today and is only 60 PSI in each cylinder. I also checked thespark plugs with a tester and spark was very weak.

Not sure if I feel like the engine is worth keeping and spending money on. I may just part it out or sell cheap on Craigslist. Or the trash.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Well, that is why testing compression is always step 1 before spending money.

That being said, do you trust your gauge? Do you trust the results? Strange that both cylinders are exactly 60 psi, unless the only problem is a small tear in the head gasket BETWEEN cylinders, which would explain it. Don't fret yet. Pull off the head, and inspect the gasket.

BrianOGrady

Seaman Apprentice
I have another tester but it is a rubber "push in" and can not hold it with one hand and pull the cord.
There is some grinding noise around the fly wheel when I pull the starter rope.
I will try and test with the other tester tonight.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You will need a " long shaft " motor.---As it is now it is a short shaft.---Lucky you , this motor was made for about 20 years and extension kits are easily found.

pckeen

Commander
60psi on both cylinders? Part out the motor.

If not, and you want to start digging into it, there are parts diagrams for your motor in multiple websites online. Just google "Johnson Evinrude Outboard Parts Diagram" and you'll find some. Parts diagrams are readily available from 1955 until present for OMC/Johnson/Evinrude.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
I would not part it out just yet. I would almost be the problem is a torn head gasket between cylinders. Very common, and an easy fix.

BrianOGrady

Seaman Apprentice
Sold the motor this weekend.

I felt like after time and money I would be able to pick up something running.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
to bad.... good engines .... easy to fix up with minimal costs ..usually just coils impeller carb kits

short shaft was your main concern not 60 pounds per cyl

. imho... soaking& decarbing an old engine could have helped ... it was well Worth a try