starter problems on 4.3 Volvo Penta GXI

charlie1900

Cadet
Hi guys, i;m new to this site and I hope I can get some help. I have a 2006 chapparell with a 4.3 gxi volvo penta and I'm having starter problems
Before when I tried to start the engine, i was just getting a clicking noise on occasion and then one day I was docking it and forgot I had the kill switch lanyard attached and pulled it out ,after i reattached it I tried starting it again but no luck not even a click so I had the starter replaced. Now that i have installed the new starter, I am not getting anything only the sound of the starter motor spinning over but not engaging . any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Hi guys, i;m new to this site and I hope I can get some help. I have a 2006 chapparell with a 4.3 gxi volvo penta and I'm having starter problems
Before when I tried to start the engine, i was just getting a clicking noise on occasion and then one day I was docking it and forgot I had the kill switch lanyard attached and pulled it out ,after i reattached it I tried starting it again but no luck not even a click so I had the starter replaced. Now that i have installed the new starter, I am not getting anything only the sound of the starter motor spinning over but not engaging . any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

:welcome:

You need to have the new starter checked out. The starter uses a solenoid which pushes the gear out into the flywheel. With the starter spinning and not engaging the flywheel sounds to me you have a bad new starter.

charlie1900

Cadet
thanks and I agree but yesterday i checked it on my bench with booster cables and it popped out and spun I'm kinda thinkin I need to check how much voltage or resistance im getting in the small wire on the S terminal from the ignition I believe

alldodge

Staff member
You do have a relay which energizes the starter upon turning the key to start

charlie1900

Cadet
ic but seeing the starter is spinning would that mean the relay is working or is the relay just to energize the starter and make it pop out and engage/?

charlie1900

Cadet
i dont think this is the one for the 4.3 gxi-f model as mine has one small black wire and 3 red wires plus the 4th from the battery

alldodge

Staff member
Here is one from the GXI 4.3 on Just Answers, note all the red wires but they connect back to the same point in other location(s) or via a circuit breaker. A starter is pretty simple and they work in one of two ways. Either a solenoid pushes the gear into the flywheel or a bendix is used to spin it in. Your starter uses a solenoid.
2009-09-05_163853_trimsystem.jpg

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
They didn't put the battery cables back on in reverse did they? I've seen outboards spin the starter backwards because of that. Sounds like it's working, but can't kick out the bendix.

charlie1900

Cadet
I just tried a brand new battery and still only spinning of the starter . If the starter is spinning does that mean the relay is good ?

alldodge

Staff member
I just tried a brand new battery and still only spinning of the starter . If the starter is spinning does that mean the relay is good ?

If the starter spins and the gear does not engine then there is a problem. Now there is a possibility that your ring gear is damaged. If the ring gear on the flywheel is damaged then the starter will turn but not turn the motor, or if the gear on the starter is damaged. same thing happens. Look at this vid and see if it can clarify what should be happening

alldodge

Staff member
Does anyone know where the relay is for this engine and if there is a way to test it ?

If your start relay was not working, your starter would not work. When you turn the key thus energizes the start relay. The start relay is what sends power to the starter solenoid. Maybe bruceb58 will come and provide his view on your issue

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
It's not your starter relay. Like Dodge said your starter wouldn't even work if the relay was bad. On earlier models, the starter relay is in the box attached to the starboard riser that has the circuit breakers on it. Not sure about 2006.

charlie1900

Cadet
ok the starter seems to be popping out the drive and spinnin fine but not cranking over the engine
the prop on the outdrive if free but i think i need to remove the water pump to try and turn the engine crank any advice would help thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... If you've got a gear reduction starter, the internal gears can strip, so it bench-tests just fine, but the gears slip when tryin' to turn the motor over,....

charlie1900

Cadet
Hey guys just letting you know that as far as I can tell now my starter is popping out and spinning now but it isn't engaging and cranking the engine so I figure I need to remove the water pump on the front of the crankshaft to check to make sure the engine is free I know my outdrive is free as the prop Spins fine
However I'm not sure