Minn Kota AP40 Foot to hand conversion.

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have been search online for this project for a while now. a lot of people take about it and only one I can find did it. but it doesn't have a lot of info on what components are needed. so I decided to do it my self and do it as cheap as possible. Here are the pictures.

Original control
Photo 01.jpg

Open it up and cut the wire. The Yellow, Red Green wire is for rotation control,
Orange and Brown is for speed control
White is for On/Off control.
Black is ground, needed for all control to complete the circuit.
Photo 02.jpg

1 pc 10K OHM Linear Taper Rotary Potentiometer for $0.99
1 pc DPDT Momentary Rocker Switch

Photo 03.jpg

Cut 3/4" PVC pipe and flatten the top for controls attachment.
Photo 04.jpg

Cut holes. it is very easy to cut if you heat up the PVC, Heat also needed to flatten the top.

Photo 05.jpg

Controls installed
Photo 06.jpg

Roughly attached the wire for test. Will make it "nice" after testing. if you need the layout of the wire, I will post it later.
Photo 07.jpg

Completed.
Photo 08.jpg

Here is a video to show the test result.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Was your foot control broken? Is it hard to hold a rod and the hand control while fishing and trolling at the same time?

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class
not really, I am used to the remote hand control on motor guide. I am making the handle into removable and the controller is palm size. I also use this motor on my Kayak. so it is much easier to have hand held. the handle is for putting it on the rod holder on the kayak. :)

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class
nope the controller can steer. the rocker switch turn motor left and right. going night fishing tonight to try it out, may shoot some video :)

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Nice upgrade, there are wireless versions of that controller around. They take lots of c batteries and are as big as a paperback book, but they work. I've had AP motors since they came out, all the way up to my current 80 pound ipilot.

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nice upgrade, there are wireless versions of that controller around. They take lots of c batteries and are as big as a paperback book, but they work. I've had AP motors since they came out, all the way up to my current 80 pound ipilot.

Where can I get the wireless one? the AP40 I have is kind of old..... I am thinking of make a wireless control my self :).

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I doubt if you can buy a new one, The one I had was at least ten years ago, they have a receiver that plugs into the stock plug on the motor and the big remote. I looked around, I can find them for the V2 models but not the older ones with the flat head. I'd watch ebay for an old one.