Starter & selenoid problems

Jh223

Cadet
Ok so I have an 89 evinrude 140 v4 when I turn the key the selenoid just clicks and the wires from starter to selenoid and to battery get very hot and start to smoke I believe one of the two are failling but not sure which one any advice would be appreciated thanks

64osby

Admiral
Sounds like your starter may have shorted out.

Does it spin when the key is turned?

No fuse in your starter circuit?

Jh223

Cadet
I havent found a fuse yet and no it doesnt spin it was making a clicking sound but now it does nothing when key is turned except get really hot

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
there are no fuses in the starter circuit.

your starter is either toast, or your motor is frozen up.

Bench test your starter

Jh223

Cadet
Still having problems I replaced the starter selenoid and did a bench test on starter it will spin off of the motor pit it back on and nothing just hear clicking do I just need to replace the starter or is there another problem im not seeing.

64osby

Admiral
If it spins on the bench but not on the motor it sounds like a wire connection issue. Clean all the contact points for all the wires.

Does it spin up the bendix and engage? If yes it may be weak battery. If no, bad wires, contacts or motor.

Jh223

Cadet
Thanks everyone for your great advice im going to check all wire connections and if that doesnt fix the problem it will go to the shop.

Jh223

Cadet
Turned out to be a bad starter and the lead cables were wrong size got bigger ones.