Garmin 300C Fishfinder goes back to Demo mode

todboat

Recruit
I have a pontoon boat with a new Garmin 300C that is not permanently mounted. Due to theft in the area, I have it on a Scotty mount into a rod holder and plug it in and unplug it every time I use the boat. My problem is I can calibrate and do all the stuff I'm supposed to, however after about five minutes, it wants to return to a 'Demonstration Mode'. What's causing this and what can I do to stop it? Does the unit have to be plugged in all the time?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Are you getting any voltage drops to the unit? Does this happen after you start your engine?

todboat

Recruit
No, it just randomly happens. I thought maybe it had to do with the fact I unplug and remove the unit after each cruise and then put it back together again when ready to head out on the water. I'll be cruising along, having calibrated and set everything, and the unit looks as if it working fine, then "returning to demonstration mode" comes up. I reset everything and again everything is fine, then "demo mode" again. Very frustrating! ANY ideas will be greatly appreciated.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

You say it's new - What did Garmin support say? Even if it's not new - What did Garmin support say?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like it is failing. Should not do that. I have a different Garmin unit and I unplug it and take it off my boat every night.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Failure mode points to an issue with the transducer.

Since you take the unit off the boat after each use and the problem is intermitant, I suspect a problem with the connector. Loose pin or wire would be my guess

Last edited:

todboat

Recruit
Garmin came up with nothing. I will check the pin connections. Thanks for the advice!

todboat

Recruit
Sorry for the delay in getting back to this, but was sidelined for a while. I finally came across information that told me that the transducer plug HAS to be plugged in 'BEFORE' any power is put to the unit or it will think that there is no transducer. Tried it and problem seems to be solved. Thanks for all your input and support!!