SOLENOID

jackman1944

Cadet
My 1979 Johnson serial .E5064658 starter want engage..When I put my screwdriver across the solenoid post the starter will engage.I thought when I did this it would let me know the solenoid was bad,but I bought a new solenoid and I have the same problem,starter want engage using the start button but will when post are touched together.Any advice will be a great help.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay jackman1944, :welcome: to iboats...

When you jumped the original solenoid you probably energized the solenoid at that time and that should have shown you it was good. However, you need to see that when you try to crank the engine via the ignition key, if you have voltage at the small terminal on the solenoid to ground. If not, then you have either a bad ignition switch OR a bad wire/connection between the ignition switch and the solenoid... Verify which and you will solve your problems... JMHO!

jackman1944

Cadet
I changed the solenoid switch and the motor started.This morning I got the same problem tried to start the motor and all I had was the clicking sound from the solenoid.Any idea what the problem could be.
Thank you
Jack

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Battery cable connections! Or a weak battery. Sounds like neither the solenoid or the switch were bad.

jackman1944

Cadet
I got up this morning,went out to the boat and tried to start it.Got the same problem solenoid only clicks when I push the starter button.The battery has a full charge and triple checked the cable connections.A few hours after a good start to no start.What am I missing?

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If you cross it over at the low current wires does it start? If so look for a bad starter button/switch, bad wire or connection in that circuit. If it doesn't get all the low current flow it won't close the solenoid all the way. You get a click which makes you think it closed but it doesn't.

I'd carefully rig a remote switch to try for a few start cycles, and if the problem doesn't resurface, I'd replace the button and or wires from solenoid to start switch.

jackman1944

Cadet
The two wires from the starter button,one is connected to the small post on the solenoid the other one is connected to the hot large post on the solenoid.When I jump the hot post wire to the small post wire the solenoid clicks.

jackman1944

Cadet
I took the wires off of the start button and connected a wire to each post then touched the wires together and all I got was a solenoid click.

Fed

Commander
There is at least a minimum of 6 connections to clean & tighten if you want to use the shotgun approach, did you remove & check them all?

Battery positive.
Battery negative.
Solenoid positive (large)
Solenoid positive (large) (switched)
Starter motor positive.
Engine block negative.

Or you could use a voltmeter to quickly pin point the faulty one.

jackman1944

Cadet
Yes I did,what I have noticed is when I go out in the morning the clicking sound from the solenoid is much quieter when I push the start button.Why would that be?

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Have you actually tested the battery? The charger can show a full charge on a bad battery.

After it sits for a while put a meter on it and tell us the voltage displayed at the battery terminals and at the seperate hot leads.

The weak click from an apparently well charged battery and the lack of consistent starts, suggests a failed connection in a terminal or a bad battery. I've seen terminals that look fine be corroded or broken under the shrink wrap with only one or two strands of wire left. Seen it in terminals from the battery all the way down to the little ones on the switches or the solenoid. The wire will read 12 volts+ but can't carry the current to do it's job. A bad battery will act the same way, but won't show the 12+ volts.

You still have the problem gm280 described in the first response and the fix is still the same. These things can run you in circles for a while until you can chase them down. Gotta love them boats. ;)

Fed

Commander
Do you have a battery isolating switch in the circuit? (1,2,Both,Off)

Are you sure the starter is not spinning, could it be the bendix not lifting instead?

Last edited:

jackman1944

Cadet
I traced the trouble to a starter ground wire replace faulty wire and it started,but then I started having trouble with the cutout switch(throttle control safety switch)
Anyone know where I could buy this switch?

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
There are lots of different switches, post up a picture of yours.

If it is just the little button with a tab that slips on it, Walmart has them.

jackman1944

Cadet
The boat now has a new solenoid,starter and battery wires,none has fixed the problem.Any ideas?Ibought a new starter because I was not getting any volts at the starter motor when I pushed the starter button.Well I still have no volts at the starter motor.

Fed

Commander
Why would you keep us in the dark like mushrooms???
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?428424-No-start

Look, if shorting between the 2 large terminals on the solenoid makes is crank over every time then without a doubt your solenoid is not energising.

You need to get power from your "push button" (shouldn't that be a key start?) to the small terminals on the solenoid to make it energise.

Put your voltmeter across the 2 small terminals on the solenoid and hit the key or button or whatever and see if you get power there.

Fed

Commander
So here's where we're at...

Shorting between the 2 large terminals on the solenoid makes the starter work.

12.7 Volts across the 2 small terminals on the solenoid and the starter motor does NOT work.

You need a new solenoid.