25HP mariner will only go to 1/2 throttle before it boggs down really bad PLEASE HELP

Welder101

Cadet
this on my buddies boat and he's really mechanically inclined he's been through most everything its getting fuel he cleaned out the carb, replaced the 2 wires under the flywheel, he thinks he narrowed it down to a CDI box or al stator what do you guys think anyone else had this problem????????? It doesn't die. Just bogs really bad and spits and sputters. Compression and coils are good. It's getting fuel

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... I moved this to the Merc Outboard forum for ya, as it's a better fit,.....

Are ya Sure it's gettin' all the fuel it wants,..??

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Is that a rebdged Tohatsu 25/30 HP engine ? Can tell by the throttle movement, is it moved by rods located under throtttle arm and inside throttle mechanism ?

Happy Boating

jerseydevil

Seaman Apprentice
I had a similar problem last year w/50hp Merc. I couldn't go past 1/2 throttle w/o boggin down. Wound up rebuilding all 3 carbs & problem was solved. Ethanol is really screwing things up royally. And I use Star Tron etc. Good Luck

Welder101

Cadet
thanks for everyones responses i greatly appreciate it i will pass all this information on to my good friend and hopefully see him out on the water! thank you again to all your responses