need an idea for chart-potter/ gps/ fishfinder combo

atti_mac

Seaman Apprentice
Got my first boat finally after a months of search :) And I got a Lowrance 7X HDI and a Lowrance Elite 5 basic model. I am planning to sell both and would like to advice what to get. Helix 7 maybe or a lowrance 7 chirp? I am looking a big screen combo under $800 . Want to fish on lake and in the bay in salt water.Doesn't know too much about pro and cons, so please help me out.

atti_mac

Seaman Apprentice
I actually thinking, would be better to keep the 7 X HDI with a 5 hdi , and sell the Elite 5 ( I have 3 different model, came on 3 boats..) Or sell it all and get a new Chirp Elite 9? What would be the better option? I can run a fishfinder or a down stream on the 7X , and a chart-potter on the 5 hdi...

atti_mac

Seaman Apprentice
I guess nobody want to help. The reason i asked because the lowrance 9 is like $990 the 7x hdi was $160 and the 5hdi i got for free.. so would be better to run a sonar on the 7x and the cartplotter on the 5hdi? Or sell it all an and get a 9 to have less unit there?

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
I subscribed to the thread when you first posted to see if others would provide some insight. Been searching off and on for some time to figure out which way to go my self. While I want items for a different issues, just trying to find good info even from .manufactures is a real pain. Go figure they all want to sell the items but finding out how to configure with an older boat, or other electronics just doesn't work. I went so far as called some to only get "these are the features we have" but no interface. Did find one at Garmin was from a gal you just got out of the service and was real helpful on sidescan sonar.

In short wish I could advise but have not used the models you have.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Humminbird? 899ci HD SI Combo

On sale now at Ca belas

$799
plus 10% on orders over $99, off I think.

But I also like the idea of running the chart plotter on a separate unit.

I just picked up the new Helix 7 with Down Image and chart plotter.
But plan on keeping my old stand alone chart plotter so I can use the sonar full screen.

Still learning to use the Helix 7, but I have used DI and SI on buddy's boat. I really have no use for SI.
DI shows me what I want to see, but the sonar "cone" is very small.

The Helix 7 product line ranges from $399 - $699.

http://www.humminbird.com/Freshwater/Product-Category/Series/HELIX-7-Series/

Last edited: