1989 Bayliner center console Trophy 18'

hnewton

Cadet
I recently purchased a 1989 Bayliner center console 18' Trophy and have a couple more questions as the previous owner had very little knowledge of the boat.

1. He said the bilge pump did not work. I see two round access covers on the deck of the boat and wonder if these are the access areas for the pump(s)? One cover is just forward of the console and one is by the transom area.
2. It only has 1 battery. Can I install dual batteries? It has a 115hp Evinrude outboard.

Thanks for any insight.

alldodge

Staff member
I recently purchased a 1989 Bayliner center console 18' Trophy and have a couple more questions as the previous owner had very little knowledge of the boat.

1. He said the bilge pump did not work. I see two round access covers on the deck of the boat and wonder if these are the access areas for the pump(s)? One cover is just forward of the console and one is by the transom area.

Most bilge pumps are close to the stern (transom) of the boat. it could be the pump is under the access cover, just need to look. You need to get the bilge fixed and it should be hard wired (thr a fuse) to the battery

2. It only has 1 battery. Can I install dual batteries? It has a 115hp Evinrude outboard.

Thanks for any insight.

Yes, you can install 2 or more batteries. The question I would ask is why do you want to install another battery? One for electronics and one for starting, this is good. Add another just to put in parallel with the first maybe not so much

hnewton

Cadet
Thanks for the info. I plan to install a trolling motor and fish finder and I wasn't sure if the 2nd battery would put a strain on the charging system of the outboard. I also have an old dual battery switch I can install. Do I need an additional charging wire to the second battery?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
If you are an all day and into the night fisherman, and you use the troller for long periods (intermittent or not) there is no way the engine will keep both batteries topped off. The trolling motor battery will typically get deeply discharged after a days use. You didn't say how big a troller you intend to install but for giggles, let's assume it will draw about 20 amps at moderate speed settings. For the record, maximum current draw for a 12 volt Minnkota 55# motor is 46 amps so I'm being generous with the 20 amps. Let's further assume you are on the water for just 6 hours. Being even more generous, lets say you only used the troller 1/2 that time or 3 hours, even though you fished for 6. So you've sucked 60 amps from that battery in that amount of time. Your outboard probably has a 20 amp alternator. From this we know you would need to run wide open for three hours (60 divided by 20 = 3) to replace that current. You would be better served to just install the second battery for the troller and in addition, install an on-board 6 - 10 amp charger that you plug into AC power when you return to the dock, or at home immediately after returning. Unless you make very long high speed runs during the day, you will not begin to keep the troller battery charged from the engine.