50hp Force ob starter-solenoid/battery connection

neilzdeal

Cadet
Hello, trying to put together wirings from winterized motor. Hav pos. battery cable on thin red solenoid nut and neg grounded to engine base. When try starting just get click and sparks from pos baterry term. Any ideas what I'm missing.? Any help greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Neil

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
You have it wired wrong. Big red battery cable goes to one of the "large studs" on the solenoid. Other large stud goes to the starter. Small wire from ignition switch goes to the small stud on the solenoid.

neilzdeal

Cadet
Thank you for response Sir, I meant the red bat is connected to the 'thinner red cable' of large studs (opposite of other large stud attached to starter). So the neg cable is correct on engine base ground?

neilzdeal

Cadet
Ok thank you. Any idea what issue could be with a click when trying to start? I get a little movement from top of starter teeth and battery is charged. I may have burned something out as when I first put wires to solenoid I mistakenly attached neg to large stud along with pos. saw smoke when trying to start...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Wire as I directed. Then use a single jumper cable to jump across the two large terminals. If the starter spins, replace the solenoid. If not, you either still have it wired wrong or battery cable connections are dirty, corroded, loose, or you have a bad battery. Checking static voltage is not a good check. Check voltage under load (when attempting to start). If the voltage drops significantly, try a different battery.

neilzdeal

Cadet
Thank you again. Tried single jumper cable across both large studs on solenoid. All I got was sparks but no starter movement..

Fed

Commander
You should check out the sparks on the Positive battery terminal before replacing the starter.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Jumper across two large studs is the same as activating the solenoid. He got sparks at that point -- not the battery terminals. Sparks are to be expected as the jumper contact is made. The fact the starter didn't spin when directly wired says it's bad.

Fed

Commander
I think you might be misreading it Silvertip post #1 clearly says there are sparks coming from the battery positive terminal.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
And he is also getting the expected sparks when jumping the solenoid. But yes -- it should be obvious that a corroded or loose battery cable needs attention.

NYBo

Admiral
You should check out the sparks on the Positive battery terminal before replacing the starter.

Agreed. A bad connection there may be preventing enough current from reaching the starter.

neilzdeal

Cadet
Thank you both. Put in new starter(not exact match, has 9 teeth instead of 11 on orig) but won't start with key turn. It will spin when I cross jump over 2 solenoid studs. Now I suppose I need a solenoid??