Battery cable size, ok to mix?

kawakx125

Seaman
I am adding a 2nd battery, currently engine uses a 2/0 AWG starter cable running from batttery and behind the motor to the starter on the other side. I will be adding 2nd battery and switch on same side as first battery. Do I need to try and find 2/0 AWG cables to hook all that up? I only need about 18'' from batteries to switch and its hard to find 2/0 AWG in that short of lengths.

alldodge

Staff member
I am adding a 2nd battery, currently engine uses a 2/0 AWG starter cable running from batttery and behind the motor to the starter on the other side. I will be adding 2nd battery and switch on same side as first battery. Do I need to try and find 2/0 AWG cables to hook all that up? I only need about 18'' from batteries to switch and its hard to find 2/0 AWG in that short of lengths.

If your using it as a backup start battery and/or house with those short lengths you should be good with 1/0.

kawakx125

Seaman
just using the deep cycle to run house loads and the other for starting. where can i find reasonably priced 2/0 cables then, preferably premade as i don't have the proper crimping tools for that large of wire? all the 2/0 i find seems to be quite a bit longer than i need or outrageously prices

alldodge

Staff member
Using it for just house loads really don't need 1/0, but the bigger the cable is the better just incase you do need it to help start