Echo map 50s doesn't read the bottom when on plane

TBarCYa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have the 50s installed in my 2008 Maxum and decided to mount the transducer on the transom instead of a shoot thru hull like gpsmap 440s that's also in the boat. For whatever reason the 50s will not read when on plane which usually means it's mounted in a bad place but I've tried 2 locations and neither is any better than the other. In the pic you'll see where it is now and the bright white 5200 that's filling the holes where it originally was mounted. Any suggestions on what I can try to get it to read would be awesome.

Attachments

• photo229184.jpeg
    photo229184.jpeg
    242 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You have it too high and it's not in the water on plane. They have to be in the water to work.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Read the directions, they will explain where it needs to be mounted.

TBarCYa

Since the current location is above the trailer bunk I'll try going back to the original location and mounting it lower. There's no other good option because of the trailer bunks and trying to leave space for smart tabs in the future.

I took a look at the instructions again and it states that the middle of the bottom of the xducr should be even with the bottom of the transom which I believe it was originally. Other than causing drag, would there be any downside to mounting it a few mm lower than the edge of the transom?

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
both of your locations were too high.

just increased drag when mounting a bit lower.

TBarCYa

Thanks for the help. I moved back to the original location just a little lower and it now works when on plane. Kinda sketchy when idling around now but that could be because it's too shallow when less than 2 feet from the transducer. I really wish the new units didn't require 8 pin transducers so I could just use the one that's currently setup to shoot thru the hull... Except for not reading water temp correctly it's perfect.