Onboard Charger?

MMcrack

Cadet
I am very interested in adding an onboard batter charger for my 15' VIP. I currently have 2 batteries on the boat, 1 for the trolling motor and 1 for the starting the boat and all the electronics. I'm the guy that adds lights, speakers, and anything else that's cool to my boat so I am contemplating on adding a third battery so I can have the engine, trolling motor, and all other electrical components on separate batteries. I guess that leads me to my questions; should I worry about adding another battery? and what's everyone's favorite onboard charger and is it good for the amount paid?

alldodge

Staff member
I am very interested in adding an onboard batter charger for my 15' VIP. I currently have 2 batteries on the boat, 1 for the trolling motor and 1 for the starting the boat and all the electronics. I'm the guy that adds lights, speakers, and anything else that's cool to my boat so I am contemplating on adding a third battery so I can have the engine, trolling motor, and all other electrical components on separate batteries. I guess that leads me to my questions; should I worry about adding another battery? and what's everyone's favorite onboard charger and is it good for the amount paid?

Unless your someone which uses quite a bit of power just sitting without the engine running (a big stereo system) I don't see the need for a third battery. You could just run any additional electronics off the trolling battery(s) IF there is a worry of using to much power from the starting battery. I like Guest and Charles charges but there are several out there which do a great job

MMcrack

Cadet
Unless your someone which uses quite a bit of power just sitting without the engine running (a big stereo system) I don't see the need for a third battery. You could just run any additional electronics off the trolling battery(s) IF there is a worry of using to much power from the starting battery. I like Guest and Charles charges but there are several out there which do a great job

My big thing is that I have been stuck miles from shore and don't want that to happen again. Haha. But I guess that makes sense because I would only be using the lights and stuff at night but the radio would be most the time.would it be safe to get a 3 bank charger in case I wanted to add another battery down the road and just shrink wrap the connections so they don't touch anything? Or should I just get a 2 bank and bite the bullet if I chose to go with a third down the road?

alldodge

Staff member
Go with a 2 bank now and do the 3 bank later if needed. The charger needs to have a battery connected to it, don't want to let wires not connected to a battery, will put charger on max out put on the bank. As before use the radio and other stuff on the trolling battery and the start battery will be ready to head home

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Most chargers allow you to double up the unused leads for greater capacity. If you really think you are going to add a 3rd battery later, definitely get a 3 bank charger.

Get a hold of the installation manual before you buy one to make sure though.

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Add the 3 rd battery in my opinion.
Hook it up independent of the other batteries. That is, all batteries segregated.

Get a 2 bank charger, hook them up to these 2 batteries.
Charger with 5 amps per bank will charge in about 12 hours.
If you need faster charge times, get a charger that is 10 amp per bank.

No reason to have the engine battery on a charger.

Keeping a separate battery for the main motor, and bilge pump, will guaranty the battery will not run down.

Keeping the trolling motor battery separate will keep motor interference from messing with your radio, sonar, and chart plotter.

Keeping your electronics separate, will prevent them from those annoying power downs that can happen when you fire up the main motor.

I have 3 chargers, MinnKota, Guest, and Cabelas. All work fine.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I agree with Bruce, you should be able to get a three bank now and use it until you get the third battery. Just check the instructions on how to do it.

I have a BPS XPS intelligent 2 bank 5 and 5 amp for my trolling batteries and a Schumacher 2 to 15 amp smart charger for all my other batteries, I like both of them very much. The XPS is so simple to use, you just plug it in and it charges at the appropriate rate until the batteries are charged then backs off and maintains them. I have not had to add water to my 2 group 29s since they were new in 2012 and I see no loss of power yet on the 3 year old batteries.

I also have 2 cranking batteries on a perko switch for the big motor and for all the boat accessories, stereo, pumps, bait tank, lights, etc. I put the perko switch on both "both" and put the Schumacher charger on one set of leads and set it on the middle setting for charge rate. The smart charger will also then charge the batteries at an appropriate rate until they are charged then back off and maintain them. I usually plug both chargers in as soon as I get home from a weekend trip and leave them plugged in for a couple days until I have all green lights and 100% charged readings.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
. I've used the Guest 2 bank chargers for years when charging at home. When on the water....it's hard to beat the MinnKota ACR chargers. Look them up on their web site. Easy to install, will keep your 2nd battery topped off when the motor is running.