Teleflex Tach Wire Up Help

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Hi iBoats!

So I am needing to wire up this tach. It's a Teleflex Sterling and the engine it's working off of is a Mercruiser 4.3 V6 1989 vintage. The plug you see connected there may or may not have the correct corresponding colors to the gauge as I had to actually source that separate. Behind the plug would be four pins.

I searched around but I can't seem to find any kind of instruction manual on this tach.

So what goes to what to wire this up correctly? What does the "D C B A" correspond to?

Thanks in advance fellas!

alldodge

Staff member
Not 100% with this but I think you have a tach for a diesel engine. Found a link at Jamestown Distributers which explains it some. Put a couple spaces in the link
http://www.jamestown distributors.com/userportal/document.do?docId=837

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Oh man, that would be a major tragedy, I sure hope not! See, these are Starcraft specific gauges, super rare, I searched forever to find these...

P1110842.jpg

I'd probably have to pull out the Mercruiser, find a fiberglass boat with a diesel in it (throw away the itchy scratchy boat obviously) and then install the diesel!

Ugh, that sound like a lot of work for a tach that says Starcraft on it eh:boink::witless::thumb:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome back, stranger. :D

I won't disagree with AllDodge, but 7000 RPM is a little high for a diesel - But I don't know for sure. If the A,B,C,D are switch settings, it doesn't look promising according to the link. But what are the chances SC had a diesel option?

Got a pic of the back?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Got a pic of the back?

Yup, I posted it up in my fist post there, is it not showing for you? I looks huge here on my screen.

I had to upload it to iboats as an attachment (my photobucket account is full so I can't upload any more photos there:facepalm:)

Yah, I sure don't recall any diesel versions of a Starcraft so I have to think this tach will work for my Merc. It must!:mad-new::D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Sheesh, I feel like such a noob right now...:facepalm:

Hi, I'm Jason, new to iboats, trying to figure out how to post photos here, hope you guys can bear with me:stupid:

OK, how bout now...

Attachments

• photo229164.jpg
    photo229164.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Set it to 6C for the 4.3. Black is ground, red is +12, purple is the tach signal from coil and blue is the light.

We learned you good. :D

GA_Boater

Skip looking for an oil burner just so you can use the tach. LOL

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Set it to 6C for the 4.3. Black is ground, red is +12, purple is the tach signal from coil and blue is the light.

We learned you good. :D

Yabutt, like I mentioned earlier....

" The plug you see connected there may or may not have the correct corresponding colors to the gauge as I had to actually source that separate."

So ya, the wire colors don't necessarily match what's actually happening in the gauge. As I see it I need to know what the D, C, B, A pins correspond too.

See whattamean?

GA_Boater

The Packard connector from 64's link;

pack.PNG

I used "standard" color codes. Or was it a Ford connector?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Do ya think Faria and Teleflex used the same corresponding lettering?

I keep thinking there has to be a installation manual sitting around out there somewhere but I just can't seem to find it in my search:cold:

Hmmmm, worth a shot I suppose, thanks fellas!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Those letters are merely pin ID (no different than 1,2,3,4,). That's a generic connector and have no relationship to wire color. Only the boat manufacturer and tach manufacturer know what the relationship is but GA's table is probably correct.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Yup! That was exactly it!

So after some trial and error this morning, all hooked up and money!:thumb:

Even better, the trial was only one try:first:

And even better yet, the wires on the plug in fact do correspond with the functions, bonus:eagerness:

Thanks for the help guys, cheers!