Couple of qustions about SI transducers.

madolive3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have smart tabs on my boat and my pitot is on the starboard side as well. The Humminbird instructions call for mounting on the starboad side and 15 inches from the edge of the prop, well it would be a little crowded and the Pitot sticks a few inches below the transom pretty sure this side is a no go.
Has anyone successfully mounted a side scan to the left of the prop? Also, I have a 19 foot glass boat with a stringer 800, not a huge amount of room between the lower and the transom. Anyone running this set up with some advice?
​ Would an in hull Transducer work as well as an external?
thanks folks.i'm a little new to boating.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
madolive3, It is told that the port side of the transom has more prop turbulence and therefore transducer mounting is not recommended. And yes inside hull transducer mounting does work, but I read mix opinions on through hull results. I know they use it on a lot of boats, but some seem to think the signal, both transmitted and received, are a little less then transom mounted. I personally haven't tried any type comparison myself and therefore I honestly don't know. I would think there would be a little less capability because it has to work through the hull. But whether that is significant or not, I have no personal knowledge. You could try and move the pitot pickup to some place else and mount the transducer at that area... Just a thought... JMHO!

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
I don't think the through hull works with side imaging,...

Maybe a custom mounting bracket off of the motor??

Fed

Commander
The 15" clearance from the prop sounds like an overkill, I have a Ratheon that calls for 2" so maybe you have more room than you think.

madolive3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
looks like i'llhave to move the pitot outside and squeeze down into that 15 inch buffer about half way. i hate to drill all of those holes though.
i might epoxy them in. maybe one screw and epox.

madolive3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think I'll get a gps powerd speedo and do away with the Pitot.