96 Bayliner 1702 with 90 hp Force battery discharging

Likethelake

Cadet
A month ago I noticed my less than a year old battery was discharging in a couple days. System never did this before. Started to disconnect the neg. batt. lead after trips. Clues so far, a month ago the tilt/trim gauge light was found out arriving at the lake at night. Gauge still functioning. Built in light dead. Yesterday, went to connect the neg. batt. lead and heard a click around the dash area. Thought it was a relay or something. Turned out the gauge needle with disconnected batt. lead is at the top of the gauge. When you connect the neg. batt. lead it pegs to the bottom. Ignition is off the whole time. Suspect this gauge somehow is energizing with the key off? And burned out the bulb? With the key off? Any thoughts? Have multimeter, will travel! Also measuring slight voltage drop difference at batt. with neg. disconnected and connected. Didnt expect this with the key off. Had this boat since 96. Battery holds with neg lead disconnected. Have a drain somewhere with the key off.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
None of the gauges should have +12 volts on the "I" terminal with the key OFF so that's the first check. The light terminal on each gauge however would be active if the NAV/ANC switch is in the NAV position. If may have been that the switch was inadvertently left on and the instrument lights have been on all the time. You would certainly notice this if the stern light was installed in its socket but you may not have noticed the bow light on.

Likethelake

Cadet
Hey silver, got the gauge out. Bulb is burned bad. Couldn't save the socket. Got a new socket and bulb from Napa! Had to grind a bit to get it to fit the gauge. Just got done. Heading back to the boat. Thing is here, I have an instrument panel light switch that turns on the gauge lights only from the factory. I guess its possible that the Trimtilt gauge light is isolated from it and has always been on but I really doubt it. I'm getting older and things are hard to remember. The rest of the gauge lights go on and off still from this switch. Hmmm... Earlier, disconnected the aftermarket stereo after talking to "Crutchfield" by the way, the younger guy was very nice and knowledgeable. Seems I've had a small drain for memory presets, clock, etc. Something I suspected so I did disconnect that and the gauge. No more voltage drop discernible. Was dropping 100/200mvdc. aproximately. 1 to 2 tenths of a volt all day long and night. Wonder if thats enough to drain a new battery.

Will post more tonight. See if i can nail down symptoms. Thanks for trying to help silver

Likethelake

Cadet
Should mention though, stereo has been in this boat for years. Some kind of new amp sucking issue is taking place. I knew it took a bit for the anti theft and presets. Its out of the circuit for now though till i figure this out.

Likethelake

Cadet
Alright, gauge is back in. Instrument light switch turns all gauge lights on and back off. Wondering if the tilt/trim has nothing to do with it. Capacitance making the needle move maybe. Gonna run the Baltimore harbor tour tomorrow. Never gets old.