starting cables getting warm why?

mallardtone-man

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hey guys I have a 115 mercury that I had to build my own battery cables for. I used 8 feet of 2 AWG wire. I have been working on the motor and have had some trouble starting it at times and had to crank it repeatedly. once or twice after doing this I noticed that the battery cables were pretty warm to the touch more so than I have ever noticed a wire getting before. Does anyone know what this means? I have been told that the gauge wire I used was adequate brought want to make sure they are not in danger of overheating or something, I assume they are just warm because of the unusual amount of cranking

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
a starter is a low duty cycle device simply becaust it needs time to cool down between uses. same with the cables.

repeatedly cranking is what heated them up.

remember, crank no more than 15 seconds, rest for 45 seconds then repeat.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Could be from excessive cranking. But usually from bad connections. How did you terminate the ends of the cables? Did you use good crimp terminals and a good crimping tool?
Are they bolted on tightly? It is not recommended to use those thumb screws that come on some batteries, a nut tightened securely is best.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Two things come to mind. First you really need to figure out why it take so long to crank your engine. Something is not right with that. Secondly, if you can still hold the wire in your hand, it isn't too hot. But the fact that you are using 2 gauge wire really makes me wonder how long you are cracking the engine to get it to run... :noidea:

ojotaylor

Seaman Apprentice
Could be bad connections, could be a starter going bad. I had the same symptoms on my engine and it ended up being the starter.